It can be defined as:‘translating the technicallanguage of a natural scienceor related field into terms andideas that people who aren’tscientists can readilyunderstand And it involvesdoing it in a way that’s
"Tildens principles" of interpretationFreeman Tilden workedfor the US national parkservice and developed aset of 6 principles in 1957.These principles havebeen the foundation ofInterpreting theenvironment since then.allig-bligblagblog.blogspot.com
1. Any interpretation that doesnot somehow relate what is beingdisplayed or described tosomething within the personality orexperience of the visitor will besterile.
2. Information, as such, is notInterpretation. Interpretation isrevelation based upon information.But they are entirely differentthings. However all interpretationincludes information.
3. Interpretation is an art, whichcombines many arts, whether thematerials presented arescientific, historical orarchitectural. Any art is in somedegree teachable.
4. The chief aim of Interpretationis not instruction, but provocation.
5. Interpretation should aim topresent a whole rather than apart, and must address itself tothe whole man rather than anyphase.
6. Interpretation addressed tochildren (say up to the age oftwelve) should not be a dilution ofthe presentation to adults, butshould follow a fundamentallydifferent approach. To be at itsbest it will require a separateprogram.