Getting the message right: social media for libraries
• an overview of social media platforms and best
• the golden rules of social media
• creating a consistent voice across platforms
• engaging your audience
• how to use content to drive engagement
Data never sleeps:
social media is
intrinsically linked to so
much in modern life
Strategic uses for social media
• boost the number of customers by expanding reach
• deepen relationships with existing customers through
• increased exposure and awareness
• promote events and services
• engage your audience
• raise awareness
• create new networks
Story Telling is the Strategy
Share your story - what’s on, what’s unique, what are your
services, what’s your reach - and engage others to share
Why do they use the library?
What’s most important to them?
The story is what makes libraries special - the people in
them and the people that use them, what people find and
learn there. These are the ambassadors for your library.
Goals: build relationships in the local community,
increase footfall, promote a local writer, get all kids
signed up with their own library card, promote health
offerings, market an event or a new club ….
The Golden rules of social media. This is your strategy.
• Tell a story. Create engagement
• Know your voice, know your tribe
• Interactive engagement – sharing, responding, RT’s. Encourage sharing from customers
• Great service - be responsive!
• Customer collaboration / Interactive engagement
• Foster customer relationships – cultivating as well as engaging new customers.
• Showing customer appreciation & being authentic
• Creating communities – external but also internal
• Good content – debates
• Multi platform – choosing the right platforms
• Be sustainable – use scheduling, tools and resources.
• Be consistent in putting information out, updating & have ideas about different ways to
market your campaigns, and use different apps to support you, including debates, polls,
feedback, sharing content & utilising established hashtags #throwbackthursdays,
• Don’t repurpose
• Put the time in and it will pay off in dividends.
• Analyse, review, adapt.
• Put your phone on airplane when you go to bed!
Find discover, track, share and participate in areas of
• Hashtags hold the threads of a conversation together
• Use for campaigns and events
• Use for/to find a debate
• Use for live updates
• Find content
• Builds your reputation/brand
• Create specific #
• Keep it optimum 5-10 characters
• #library or the name #ColliersWood
• Find useful lists and subscribe to them. Use them to
build your customer and follower base.
• Use them for inspiration!
• Follow each other for ideas, and support efforts via RTs
• Follow @LDNLibraries