ABC Council PTA won the CA PTA Spotlight award for communications using the initiatives implemented using technology. View this and find out how we did it and let us know if you need help to duplicate this at your council!
CA PTA Spotlight Award
VP Technology, ABC Council PTA
ABC Council PTA Board
President Cheri Luo
Treasurer Carol Uchiyama
Secretary Shiva Bhatt
Financial Secretary Marilou Dulay
Auditor Irma Quiambao
Parliamentarian Cynthia Corrales
VP-Communications LaQuisha Anderson
VP-Programs Elsa Garcia-Chau
VP-Membership Gail Bosfield-Swint
VP-Hospitality kelly Vo
VP-Technology Murali Vasudevan
VP-HealthAndWelfare Pilar Aguayo
Reflections Chair Toby Reyes
GrantandAward Chair Mae Lovgren
MembershipCommittee Amber Perez, Rebecca Hernandez
Education Chair Adrian Grever
ABC School District
Parent Leadership Conference
• 2012 – started with Whitney High School PTSA
• 2015 – Cerritos High School PTSA
• 2014-2016 ABC Council PTA
• Dad, Husband with a full time IT job
• Passions – IT, Use technology to make a difference to
Outsider & Insider view!
• Did not involve in PTA for 12 years
• Why I did not join PTA for so long?
• What could have made me start earlier?
• What can I do to inspire other parents?
• Especially dads!
• Attended various meetings
• Listened, interacted with attendees
• Unit board meetings – Board members
• Association meetings - Association members
• Council board meetings - Council board members
• Unit president’s meetings – All unit presidents
• Talked to them outside meetings
• Met with Principals, community members
Make PTA logo visible!
• Wear PTA T-Shirts, Volunteer stickers
• Officers, Volunteers
• Parents, Teachers and Students
• PTA shop
• Give away for premium donors
Get a Website!
• Seek help from parents with IT background
• Passionate, committed
• Collect & Organize timely, helpful resources from CA PTA and
National PTA websites for easy consumption by
• Council board members
• Unit presidents and board members
• Unit members
• Reflections fliers, Leader guide, forms
• Scholarship info (due dates, forms)
• Forms for Awards, Financial
• Unit events
Host unit websites
• Sub domains for units
• Affordable, simple websites
• Online payment using Paypal buttons
• Train student volunteers to maintain the website
• Give them volunteer hours credit
Post this on your website!
Share local FREE events!
• Post this on your website!
• Share via Monthly newsletter!
• Library, city recreation department
• Story times, Various competitions
• Spring break
• Summer activities
• Movies, Concerts
• Inspiring 30 second videos you can play
• Great way to attract & retain members
• Have principal play at school events
• Examples at http://www.abccouncilpta.org
• Great resources - Documents and fliers
• Share via emails
• Print and distribute
• Back to school nights, Open house nights, Membership drive
• Association meetings, Membership drive
• Various events!
MEMBERSHIP MONDAY EBLASTS
• Each Monday from mid-July through mid-October
• Sent to all unit, council and district membership chairs,
communications officers and presidents.
• July 27 — Start your PTA year off right!
• August 3 — Building a community of engagement
• August 10 — Engaging teachers in PTA
• August 17 — Healthy families, healthy PTA’s
• August 24 — Messaging that works
• August 31 — Keeping families engaged and informed
• September 8 — Resources, marketing and Member Perks
• September 14 — Three things you can do to build membership this
• September 21 — Don’t forget dads and dudes
• September 28 — Showcasing the power of PTA
MEMBERSHIP THEME IDEAS
More ideas at CAPTA website
• Recruit parent/student volunteers to moderate
• Facebook & Twitter
• Promote Events, important information
• Success stories of units
• Share and learn from each other
• Add widgets to your website!
• Parent Engagement Program
• In nearly 100 schools — and counting!
• SCHOOL DISTRICTS ARE IMPLEMENTING SCHOOL SMARTS
• The program is now available to all schools statewide.
• Foster parent engagement in schools
• Support parents as children’s first teachers
• Develop future parent leaders
• Encourage parents to advocate for a complete and quality
education that includes the arts.
Online portal for
Council units (CUP)
• Portal for Unit President, Treasurer & Secretary
• Units can upload tax returns, budgets, audit reports, meeting
• Dashboard for Council Treasurer and Board
• Shows document upload status from units
• Send reminders
• Easy to use online program
• Manage membership
• Stay connected with the members
• Easy to Manage funds
• Payment Manager, Reports
• Organize events
• Fund raisers, scholarships, email campaigns
• Get ready for Audits
• Stay Compliant
• Meet Organizational requirements
• Started 2013 January
• Worked with WHS PTSA Board
• Launched in 2013 August for WHS PTSA (V1.0)
• Enhancements during 2014 (V2.0)
• Scholarship Manager
• Volunteer Manager
• Membership rules, Council Payment Report
• No more supported
• Enhancements during 2015 (V3.0)
• Shared service model to support more PTAs
• Significant additional features
• New version released in Sept 2015
• Cerritos Elementary has been using it
• Set to launch for CHS PTSA
• Invested 1500+ hrs of Programming
• Design, Programming and Testing
• $75K conservative estimate