Population: 941 inhabitants
Area: 1940 ha
Address: Perkupa, Kossuth L. Str. 12
Zip code: 3756
Phone: +36 48 462 001
Fax: +36 48 562 201
Mayor Zoltán Molnár
Perkupa is situated in the northern part of Hungary, in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County, 10 km
away from the Slovakian border, in the valley of the Bódva river.
This settlement dates back to the middle-ages. It belonged to the Torna clan during the master
hood of kings of the Árpád dynasty. The name of the settlement has Slavic roots, with the meaning
The traditional economical activities of the inhabitants are connected with agriculture, animal
breeding and forestry. The most important mineral resources in this area are chalk-stone and gypsum.
There was a gypsum mine and a mill functioning up until 1990, then a marble and band-stone factory
operated up until 2008.
Perkupa is famous for its stone bridges, for the baroque Calvinist church which was built in 1800,
and for the catholic church with the Madonna sculpture, dated from the 18th century.
Renewable Energy Sources
Now: Plans to build an air-conditioner and a heat-pump assembling factory. The high-priced
heating with gas is a big problem for inhabitants with low solvency, because of high unemployment.
Future: Proceeding biomass for solid fuel and modernising the heating system of public
Rational Use of Energy
Now: Preparation of projects and initiatives based on the utilisation of RES and creation of new
work opportunities related to these activities.
Future: Collecting the solid biomass produced in the neighborhood and using it within the heating
system of governmental buildings instead of gas.