Wisconsin Innovative Schools Network 3/28 - OER Presentations
Open Education Resources
21st Century Teaching and Learning
Logistics and Marketing Mgr,
eAchieve Academy –
➢ M Ed, Instructional
➢ BA Broadcast
Social Studies Teacher
eAchieve Academy – Wisconsin
➢ M Ed, Teaching and Curriculum
➢ BA Economics and Political
➢ iNACOL Board Member
Online textbooks, videos, websites, virtual labs,
simulations, OERs, discussion boards,
What is OER ?
• Open Educational Resources (OER) are digital
materials for students and teachers that are
made available by individual decision or open
• OER have been hailed by some as the key to
breaking down the digital divide and giving all
students (around the world) access to high
quality educational resources while others have
criticized the true motives of OER producers.
What can you use it for ?
• Online or Blended Class
• Supplemental Resources
• Advanced Study / Advanced Class
• Integrated into LMS
• STEM Content
• SCIENCE AND MATH – Greatest Gains
What can OER do ?
• - Digital OER can available to any student, any
where in the world, at any time, via the internet.
• - Cost - The cost OER is lower than traditional
methods of obtaining information and sharing with
• - OER allow information to be share, edited, and
modified quicker than traditional print.
• -OER can facilitate student centered self paced
Sal Khan -Becomes a ROCK STAR
• Videos to Reinvent Education - March 2012
NROC Course Catalog
US History I & II
American Government Introductory Physics I &
II General Physics I & II Introductory Calculus I
& II General Calculus I & II Environmental
Science Elementary Algebra Psychology
Calculo General I & II (Spanish)
AP Biology I & II
AP Calculus AB I & II
AP Calculus BC I & II
AP Environmental Science
AP Physics B I & II
AP Physics C I & II
AP US History I & II
AP US Government & Politics Algebra 1a & 1b
(2004 version) College Prep Physics I & II
Curso de Algebra 1A & 1B (Spanish)
Mathematics and Statistics (21902)
Science and Technology (11634)
Social Sciences (11297)
Activities and Labs
Audio Lectures (924)
“The idea is simple: to publish all of our course materials
online and make them widely available to everyone.”
Dick K.P. Yue, Professor, MIT School of Engineering
• - It is hard to make a strong defense for traditional printed
• - Video, stored or hosted on the internet is a valuable tool that
could replace traditional classrooms lectures at many levels...
• - The global potential of OER creates an opportunity to
enhanced educational opportunities and CHANGE SOCIETY
throughout the world...
• - OER is a vibrant community that is in development with the
potential to radically change education.