Houston ISD Math-Science SummitMarch 2015
Elizabeth H. Eastman
A Pathway is…
a series of TTM lessons.
… adaptive & adjusts based on level of understanding shown by student
… TTM created according to TX-TEKS Standards
… placement test determines starting point for successful learning
TTM PRIMARY PATHWAY
Ensure students are working at the
‘right’ math at right time.
Designing custom pathways
• works around programming of scope &
sequence and built-in supports (in short-term),
• allows flexible use of TTM as compliment to
classroom instruction in order to customize &
address students’ needs.
(CLONE: use pre-built domain specific pathway by custom cloning)
* Intervention for Remediation (10-12 lessons)
* Test Prep. (5-6 lessons)
* Homework (1-2 lessons)
* Summer School
1. Plan pathway design: Identify standards, domains, purpose & duration.
-- > [TTM Standards Report]
2. Login to TTM
3. CONTENT tab > Manage Pathways
4. Use filters to find pathway to CLONE
4. For this example, we will clone: Texas 3 Pathway
5. Name & Save
6. Lessons in ‘Selected Lessons’ can deleted with X
or rearranged by click/drag up or down.
7. Use ‘Filter by Grade’ to access lessons from other grade levels.
Click & drag to right to add to pathway.
* Turn off PLACEMENT TEST
* Determine whether TTM provides additional REMEDIATION if student does not pass
Turn OFF if pathway is to be short and focused. Pathway will NOT adapt based on student
Turn ON so additional supporting lessons can be inserted as needed. Pathway will adapt.
1. ‘CLASSES’ pull-down tab
2. ‘Current Students’ > √students > ASSIGN PATHWAY
3. Choose CUSTOMER CREATED Tab> Select pathway from list > ENROLL
Switch Between Multiple Pathways?
* Assigned pathways shown to student on dashboard expandable menu at top.
* Students see available pathways listed when more than 1 incomplete pathway.
* Students select a pathway to work on by clicking button next to pathway name.
Pathway currently working: blue circle.
Other assigned pathways: open circle.
To remove a pathway, click REMOVE next to the
pathway name for that particular student on the class roster
Report Analysis with Multiple Pathways
Student Progress Report:
* Student Progress Report shows work for
one pathway at a time.
(Most recently assigned)
* View a different pathway by selecting from drop-down menu filters.
* Data shows from selected pathway only.
[Student Performance, Grade Level Performance, & Student Growth]
Standards & Overview Reports:
* Show all student work from all pathways.
* Use filters to identify which students to view.
KEEP IN MIND…
* Clone pre-built domain specific pathway to build custom pathway.
Add/remove lessons as you see fit.
* Inform & explain to students you’ve assigned an
additional pathway. Goals & expectations for journal
* Provide timeline for completion so students know when to work on
custom pathway vs. primary pathway.
* Select correct pathway when viewing
STUDENT PROGRESS REPORT & monitor progress.
Create a Custom Pathway
2 ways to create:
* CLONE an existing pathway and edit. [recommended]
* Create a NEW pathway:
1 - Click on the CONTENT button located at
the top of home page.
2 - Select Manage Pathways.
3 - Choose an existing pathway and
4 - Name your new pathway.
5 – Choose settings for your custom pathway.
Placement Test and have precursor
lessons built in? (may bypass these
for short targeted time periods)
Remediate students back to
Turn off – pathway will not adapt
Turned on – pathway will adapt
9 - To add lessons to the pathway,
FILTER the available lessons by grade level.
Drag/drop lessons to space on right to add to
pathway. Drag lessons to reorder them.
When done, SAVE.
Custom Pathways in Think Through Math
Create, edit, & assign a custom pathway within specific window of time for targeted skill
* Target identified gaps in learning in form of short-term intervention.
* Design around the programming of scope & sequence and built-in supports to use TTM as compliment
to what you’re doing in classroom instruction.
* Customize to students’ needs.
Assign as a secondary pathway which students will select from menu at top of their TTM dashboard.
Assign Custom Pathway
1 - Go to CLASSES.
2 - Find class with the student(s) you want to assign
3 - Select CURRENT STUDENTS. Choose
student(s) to assign a pathway by checking boxes to
left of names.
4 - ASSIGN PATHWAY at top. To find pathways
FILTER available pathways. Select pathway to
assign & click ENROLL at bottom of page.
5 - Assigned pathways shown to student on
dashboard expandable menu at top. Students see
all pathways listed when more than 1 incomplete
pathway is assigned.
Students select a pathway to work on by clicking
button next to pathway name.
Pathway currently working: blue
Other assigned pathways: open
5 - To restart or remove a pathway, click RE-
ENROLL or REMOVE next pathway name for
specific student on roster.
E. Eastman Spring 2015
Custom Pathway Creation Best Practices:
Clone pre-built domain specific pathway to build custom pathway. Add/remove lessons
as you see fit.
Inform & explain to students you’ve assigned an additional pathway. Set goals &
expectations for journal.
Provide timeline for completion so students know when to work on custom pathway vs.
Select correct pathway when viewing STUDENT PROGRESS REPORT & monitor
TTM Recipe for Success
(2-3 TIME/WK FOR 60-90 MIN)
Allow adaptivity to fill gaps
Pass 70% of total lessons
Strive to pass all target lessons on pathway
Complete a minimum of 30 lessons before testing
Strive to complete entire pathway
Goals & expectations for journal
Monitor progress regularly (what does it look like during TTM? -- >avatars last 2 min.
journal, headphones, weekly goals in mind)
E. Eastman Spring 2015