Would you allow… ?
TESTING YOUR PERSONAL LIMITS ON CREATING POLICY AND
PROGRAM FOR THIS MUSEUM
ELAINE HEUMANNGURIAN 2017
This power point will allow you and your colleagues to see where each
of your internalized definition of museum activities is the same or
different. This will foster a conversation on whether or not to expand
the products of this institution.
Mark each of the activities on the following slides using the scale
below: Each slide and each activity is numbered, for example slide 1
activities will be marked 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc.
You personally feel the activity listed is:
Appropriate and the museum is already doing it. Vote 1
Appropriate and the museum should consider vote 2
A stretch for you personally but you are willing to consider this program
for this museum’s use. Vote 3
Inappropriate for this museum. Vote 4
Inappropriate for museums in general. Vote 5
We can vote altogether holding up appropriate fingers to see
where each of us comes down on each issue.
Here are a list of texhibition echniques that would add llayers to your
exhibitions and make them more complex.
Would you allow…
1. Quests or Computer Games to match the content?
2. Virtual Reality to explore some element of the exhibition?
3. People painting reproductions inside the gallery?
4. A family backpack with puzzles and touch elements?
5. A climbing structure?
6. Visible storage?
7. A linkage to websites not of your creation.
8. Deeper information on a gallery embedded computer.
9. Multiple voices on multiple audio guides?
10. A custumed interpreter?
11. A reading nook?
Would you allow?
1. An exhibition of Mapplethorpe’s photos that included his personal
2. Photos of an explicit atrocities like Syrian gassing of civilians.
3. Historic iconic photos that are explicit killing like the execution of
theViet Cong prisoner?
4. Satiric art liked by one group but hated by another like the anti-
5. Overtly racist material from a different era that is intended to
make an anti-racist point.
6. The museum to take down art once hung but now objected to by
members of the community like PissChrist>
1. The exhibition to be opened unfinished with the public
bringing material to be included during the run of the
2. The public expressing their views on a relevant subject in a talk-
3. The public voting for their favorite item?
4. The ability for the public to write alternate or additional labels?
5. The exhibition to include a piece where the public creates a
cumulative art piece?
6. A hackathon that suggests additional changes to the
7. An externally produced tour of the current exhibition?
to use your
Would you allow?
The following program happening simultaneously with open
hours but in a different part of the building?.
1. A blood drive?
2. A support group of grieving families ?
3. A fulltime nursery school ?
4. A soup kitchen for the elderly?
5. A polling place on election day?
6. A meeting of the Rotary?
7. A private paid function?
use of your
Would you allow?
An after-hours museum visit for:
1. An important celebrity or politician and their party?
2. An association of families with autistic children?
3. A visit of adults from a half-way house?
4. A group of poets or painters for their own discussion?
5. A meet and greet cash bar for a dating service?
6. A paid function wedding?
to use your
Would you allow:
Use of your museum gallery space during visitor hours:
1. Testing for commercial products on your audience?
2. Research about audience learning?
3. Your own try-outs of exhibition techniques?
4. Passing out of religious fliers?
5. A volunteer gathering voter registration?
6. A live radio broadcast?
Would you allow (not available for the public)?
1. A religious funeral of an important civic person?
2. A pow wow?
3. A secret native ceremony for the initiated tribal members using
objects from the collection?
4. A Catholic mass using objects from the collection?
5. Patrons to pray in front of religious material hung as art?
6. Muslim to fulfill their prayer obligations in public?
1. Secret and Sacred material being put on view?
2. Secret and Sacred material taken off view on request
3. Human remains like mummies on view?
4. A creationist tour of the museum?
5. Weddings and Bar Mitzvah’s in the galleries?
6. A drumming or dance group from the appropriate tribe?
Would you allow:…
1. Non-patrons to use the bathrooms?
2. Anyone other than staff take a shower?
3. Have programmed sleepovers?
4. Different hours? During different seasons?
5. More seating?
6. Free wi-fi?
7. The lobby to encourage public gathering without going to the
Would you allow the homeless to:
1. Use the bathrooms?
2. Take a shower?
3. Sleep overnight when too cold out?
4. Sleep overnight every night?
5. Visit the gallery when they are unwashed and unkempt.
6. Visit the gallery when they are polite but clearly poor.
7. Read books in the reading room?
amnh/ sleep over
Adding food into your museum, would you
1. A coffee bar in the lobby?
2. Visitors drink coffee in the galleries?
3. Invite food trucks outside to become associated with your
4. Have picnic tables in your outside spaces and invite visitors to
bring food from outside to picnic?
5. Have local home food creators sell food in the museum on a
rotational basis out of small kiosks?