Brief Background: Mr.
• Mr Price was started by Stuart Cohen and Laurie Chiappini , who
both have extensive experience in the retail and fashion industry.
• They were both part of the management team for Ackermans and
helped breathe life into the brand in 1979.
• In 1986, the first Mr Price factory shop .By 1995, Mr Price had
established 237 stores
• Mr Price has a wide range of clothing that caters for men, women,
children and they also have a great selection of maternity and
career-wear, as well as underwear and accessories.
• Mr Price recently underwent a rebranding, by collaborating with
European visual merchandisers Dalziel and Pow to bring a fresh,
up-to-date feel to the Mr Price stores
Brief Background: Pep
• Pep is a successful multinational brand, which is based in
and operates out of 11 countries.
• In 1965, the first Pep store was opened in the Northern
• Variety of products; clothing and footwear for men, women
and children, home-ware, beauty, cellular and airtime
• Helpful services such as cash-backs, loans, funeral policies
and electricity tokens.
• Dictates who their target audience and
target market will be
• Various Approaches to Positioning;
benefits, quality, price etc.
• Helps carve out market share and place in
Low prices for your
faciliatate or enable
consumer access to
certain services i.e.
Fashionable trends at
Low Price strategy
How each brand
Message Appeal: Feel
good, cognitive; Pre-
emptive and generic
Taken out negative
stigma with low income
Identifiable selling point
Message Appeal: Feel
good and sex
Pre- emptive; trend
Early adopter of
at low prices
Both brands do resonate with the consumer, because:
• Message designs exhibited by both brands follow all the basic
principles for successful communications with the target
market and audience
• Exudes a personality that is fun, trendy and accessible
• Message appeal is one of feel good, cognition of latest trends at
a low cost with a veneer of sex appeal.
• Communication strategy fits well with contact points that are
most utilised or seen by their target audience
• Blue and yellow give a sense of health; stability and
reliability, which is congruent with their brand promise and
helps attract their target audience who consist of decision
makers in low income homes.
• Pep has managed to erase the stigma of indignity that is
attached to poverty or low- income households