• Super 8 film
• VHS over Betamax
• Closed captioning
• Online payments
• Blu-ray over HD DVD
Okay but why?
• Links to University Strategic Plan
• Fostering Academic and Co-Curricular Innovation
• From SFA Envisioned http://www.sfasu.edu/strategicplan/203.asp
• University opening a new STEM center
• Educational Fit
Partnership Opportunities (Internal)
• Ariel drone footage mapped to point cloud
• Virtual field trips
• Mapping objects that need more than 2 dimensions
Purchasing: The Hidden Nightmare
The biggest Impediment to implementing any new technology is having
to explain to it to non-technical folks, especially if they’re the ones
holding the wallet.
“You don’t need three of those…”
• In order to save time and excruciating headaches, TALK TO YOUR
PURCHSING DEPARTMENT UP FRONT. Explain what you are doing,
bring printouts of Articles with photos, illustrations, etc.
• “Is this some kind of videogame?” No.
• “Are you sure it’s not videogames?” Yes.
• “We’re going to need to talk to Legal Counsel to make sure these aren’t video games…”
OK, How About Just One?
If you can convince them to let you buy at least a single unit that you can set up and
demonstrate to Students and Faculty, the program will sell itself!
You cannot explain it…it must be witnessed first-hand.
I can almost guarantee that with very few exceptions, every single person who has the
VR experience will become an evangelist for you and the technology.
Relate the experience to their field of study:
“Criminal Justice? How about a forensics lab simulation?”
“Art? Check out Tilt Brush!”
FORM 327/b Misery Loves Company.doc
( replaces Form 305: Because That’s How We’ve Always Done It. )
• Just do the Paperwork, and play the game.
It will all work itself out…just plan to answer the exact same questions a few times,
and also on delays caused by having to vet new companies into the state system.
Understand that you are a trailblazer (relatively speaking…),and that there are no clearly defined
“Best Practices” yet, and no pre-packaged solutions. In this regard, YOU WILL BE
INVENTING THE WHEEL.
The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow
If you find yourself frustrated by the bureaucracy, go grab someone
who has never experienced VR and do an impromptu demo!
The excitement and enthusiasm most people exhibit after their first VR
experience is almost addictive, for both the the viewer and the person
doing the demo!
Your users will revitalize you!