This presentation talks about the barriers preventing charities from adopting cloud. Charities can reduce costs and improve services, so Ivan Harris, Business Manager for Cloud Services at Eduserv looks at why cloud adoption in the sector is so slow and how the sector can move towards cloud adoption.
Harnessing the Power of Cloud - Charirty Finance Group IT Conference
Harnessing the Power of the Cloud
With the funding challenges facing the charity sector,
cloud computing appears to offer the benefits of
improved service delivery and increased business
agility with lower costs. So why is uptake so slow,
where are the pitfalls and what are the critical success
factors when undertaking a journey to the cloud?
Ivan Harris, Business Manager – Cloud Services
25th March 2014
• IT Solutions Provider to the public and third
• We’re a not-for-profit organisation and a
• Shared services provider to HE since 1988
• Spun out of the University of Bath 15-years ago
• Initially served the education sector exclusively
• First government customer 20-years ago
• First charity customer 10-years ago
• Our focus is on large organisations where we
build long term trusted relationships
Charity Sector Challenges
• Convert Capex to Opex
• Only pay for what you useFinance
• Collaboration & innovationOperations
• ISO 27001, IL0/IL2/IL3 accreditation
• CSP economies of scaleSecurity
• Any device/anytime/anywhere
• Elastic capacityServices
So why haven’t we all gone
Inertia Lack of cloud technology knowledge?
No belief in cloud benefits?
Failed pilot projects?
Not suitable for complex requirements?
It’s easier to not change!
Critical Success Factors
Success Have a transformation plan
Treat as a business driver, not an IT project
Have clear alignment to business priorities
Prioritise according to ROI
Don’t forget change management!
Not all systems are ready for the cloud
Like any journey, it’s not all plain sailing!
Public Sector and the Cloud
• G-Cloud procurement framework and
• Vetted organisations and services
• IaaS, PaaS, SaaS and Specialist Cloud
• 50% of new government IT spending to move
to cloud computing services by 2015
• 25% of spend with SMEs
• Cloud first, Agile project management, lean
• Pre-accredited services (IL2 & IL3)
• Some charities can procure off the
Business Manager – Cloud Services
Phone: 01225 474311