Unit X, Topic X
1. Rewrite the sentences in reported speech. Change pronouns and time expressions where neces-
1. He said, "I will ring her."
He said that ______________________________________
2. They said, "We have just arrived."
They said that _____________________________________
3. "Mark's going to install solar panels," said Miranda.
Miranda said that ________________________________________
4. "They found gold here," said the geology teacher.
The geology teacher said that ______________________________
5. "Jenny can't speak French," said Pierre.
Pierre said that __________________________________________
2. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
1. “Pedro is reading the paper.”
Mike said Pedro ______________________________(read) the paper.
2. “John forgot my birthday!”
Anna complained that John ______________________ (forget) her birthday.
3. ”I’m not waiting for you.”
My sister said that she __________________________ (wait) for us.
4. “I haven’t seen this film”
He said he_____________________________________ (see) that film.
5. “Carmen can meet us later.”
She mentioned that Carmen _________________________ (meet) us later.
Unit X, Topic X
3. Choose the correct answer.
1. Frank promised that he will take / would take photographs on the trip.
2. The shop claimed that they have / had no more Harry Potter books.
3. Bob explained that he couldn’t / can’t come that evening.
4. Dad mentioned that he was going / is going to the dentist.
5. Laura admitted that she doesn’t know / didn’t know the answer.
4. Imagine you are with a friend talking about a film. Write a dialogue between you and your
friend. Use the reported speech and your imagination. Be creative. (80-120 words)