Introduction to the Sales “V” We’ll get into a lot more detail with this tomorrow, but here are the basic points Draw the “V” on the board
Why do we buy new interview suits? Why do we work longer hours in the beginning of a new job?
Appointment Call Preparation
Keeping the Appointment
HOW DO I GET THE APPOINTMENT TO STICK?
Once you’ve got it … KEEP IT!
• Send a note or fax or email after you set the
appointment to confirm
• Drop a voicemail after hours the night before the
• Ask your prospect to write it in his/her calendar (“Do
you have your calendar out?”) Spell your name for
him/her as he/she is putting the appointment on the
• First impressions make a lasting
• Statistics show that judgments of
character are made during the first 60
seconds of initial contact.
• Your ETR will help you close the deal if
you make a good first impression.
Earn The Right
• Goal – Ensure thoughtful thorough
• Why is this important?
– Questions you ask & information you
receive from your VITO directly correlate
to the strength of ETR
• Key components
1. Credibility in company
2. Credibility in self
3. Commitment to the time and process
• Anticipate Objections
– Answering questions
Earn the Right
– I’m glad we took the time to meet. Let me step back &
remind you why I’m here.
– Currently ____ is one of our strongest verticals. Some of the
companies benefiting from our programs are companies like
_____ and ______, to name a few. What we do for each
company is different but if you had to net it out, we help them
________ and __________.
– Understanding that your company is unique let’s invest the
next 5 minutes to learn about your business and needs. If it
looks like I can help you, I will go ahead & explain how we
can customize a program for you.
– If it sounds like a fit, we can move forward as business
– We agreed to talk for about 20 minutes on the phone, so
let’s get started.
Active Listening Skills
Keys to Active Listening:
• Focus your attention
• Open your mind
• Don’t assume
• Don’t interrupt
• Let VITO know you are paying attention
• Refer to what the customer has already said
• GOLDEN SILENCE!
3 Second Rule
When asking your prospect thoughtful & challenging
questions – make sure you give them time to answer!
After your customer answers, wait 3 seconds to be
sure they have nothing more to add
MUTE BUTTON = “uh-huh” killer!
5 Questioning Styles
•OPEN ENDEDOPEN ENDED Who, what, where, when, how (why)Who, what, where, when, how (why)
•CLOSE ENDEDCLOSE ENDED Multiple choice or one-word answersMultiple choice or one-word answers
•LEADINGLEADING Leads or cornersLeads or corners
•IFIF Any logical/rational person would say yesAny logical/rational person would say yes
•KNOW-IT-ALLKNOW-IT-ALL Has a negative tone; puts listener on the defenseHas a negative tone; puts listener on the defense
What We Know –
Where We’re Going
Quality vs. Quantity
Data Gathering Goals
1. Org Structure:
– Verify you are meeting with a VITO
– Quantify how good of a prospect he/she is as
well as others to sell to
– Get a better idea of what you would sell him/her
– Understand where within his/her sphere of
influence we can help – What is giving him or her
3. Our Competition:
– Understand what the VITO and the company
currently have in place to deal with the challenge
– What is your competition?
– Learn why these tools were chosen, who chose
them and how effective they are today so that we
can swell to fill their gaps.
Write Your 3 Questions
2.2. HOW BIG?HOW BIG?
4.4. CURRENTLY DOING TO OVERCOME?CURRENTLY DOING TO OVERCOME?
Why Don’t Buyers Buy?
d the offer
d the offer
Using A Presentation To Sell CB
• 10 slides max
6 Closing Techniques
Assume the sale
Help me to understand, scale other tools
3. Post Pone
Trial, Gather data for long-term decision
Perhaps I haven’t done my job in showing the value
5. Pilot Offer
I am confident it will work for you, Gather data to
Best Alternative To No Agreement – Time is against