Using the Present Form of Verbs
I. Learning Objectives
• Use the simple and s-form of verbs in sentences
• Identify the simple and s-forms of verbs in sentences
II. Subject Matter
A. Topic: Using the Present Forms of Verbs
B. References: PELC II 9
I Can Use English to Learn New Things,
C. Materials: Pictures of different workers in the community
A. Preparatory Activities
Ask: Do you know your community workers?
What do they do to help the community?
(PICTURES OF DIFFERENT WORKERS IN THE COMMUNITY)
Tell the pupils to give sentences about the pictures.
1. The policeman help keep the community safe.
2. The doctor cures the sick.
3. The vendor sells fish and vegetables.
B. Developmental Activities
Say: Listen as I read the poem on the chart.
Our Community Workers
A teacher teaches all day long,
She wants us to be good and strong.
The farmer raises rice and corn,
He starts to work in the early morn.
The sun–bronzed fisherman goes to sea,
To catch some fish for you and me
The cobbler sews and mends old shoes
For the safety of our little toes.
Value Focus: Love and Respect
(Let the pupils read the poem as a class, then by groups.)
Analysis and Discussion
1. Ask the following:
a. What does the teacher do all day?
b. What does she want the children to be?
c. What do farmers do?
d. What does a fisherman do?
e. What would you like to be when you grow up to help the
Here are your answers. Let’s read and analyze them.
One Person/Thing Two or more persons
A teacher teaches all day long
She wants us to be good and strong
The farmer raises rice and corn
The doctor cure the sick
The fishermen catch fish.
The teachers teach well.
The farmers plant all day.
The doctors cure the sick.
2. What have you noticed in the chart?
S – Verbs are used when we talk only one person, thing or place.
Simple verb is used when we talk of two or more persons.
3. Activity 1 – Tossing a Coin
Get a coin. Label one side of the coin S – VERB and the other side
If the S shows, construct sentences using the S form of verbs.
If the Simple side shows, construct a sentence using the simple form
1. What form of verb is used with singular subjects?
• The S form of Verb
2. What form of verb is used with plural subjects?
• The simple form of verb
C. Post Activity
Have the pupils answer the following activities:
Direction: Choose the correct form of the verb to complete each
sentence. Underline your answer.
1. The bakers (bake, bakes) the bread.
2. Angie (cook, cooks) food for the visitors.
3. Mark and Vic (climb, climbs) the tree.
4. The principal (take, takes) a visit to the room.
5. The pupils (help, helps) their teachers clean the room.
2. Enrichment Activities
Give examples of activities you do everyday.
1. I brush my teeth.
2. Lea and I go to school everyday.
3. Values integration
How should we treat our community workers? Love and respect them
Why? They work for our common good.
Underline the correct form of the verbs to complete the poem.
I used to see people working here and there.
The teacher (teach, teaches) her pupils.
The musician (blow, blows) his horn.
The policemen (whistle, whistles) well.
The vendors (shout, shouts)for joy.
The driver (drive, drives) his jeepney.
Write sentences using the simple and S-form of the given verbs: