1. There are two circles, one circle is inscribed and another circle is circumscribed over a square.
What is the ratio of area of inner to outer circle?
2. Three types of tea the a,b,c costs Rs. 95/kg,100/kg and70/kg respectively. How many kgs of
each should be blended to produce 100 kg of mixture worth Rs.90/kg, given that the quntities of
band c are equal
a)70,15,15 b)50,25,25 c)60,20,20 d)40,30,30
3. In a class, except 18 all are above 50 years. 15 are below 50 years of age. How many people
are there (a) 30 (b) 33 (c) 36
(d) none of these.
4. If a boat is moving in upstream with velocity of 14 km/hr and goes downstream with a
velocity of 40 km/hr, then what is the speed of the stream ?
(a) 13 km/hr (b) 26 km/hr (c) 34 km/hr (d) none of these
5. Find the value of ( 0.75 * 0.75 * 0.75 - 0.001 ) / ( 0.75 * 0.75 - 0.075 + 0.01)
(a) 0.845 (b) 1.908 (c) 2.312 (d) 0.001
6. A can have a piece of work done in 8 days, B can work three times faster than the A, C can
work five times faster than A. How many days will they take to do the work together ?
(a) 3 days (b) 8/9 days
(c) 4 days (d) can't say
7. A car travels a certain distance taking 7 hrs in forward journey, during the return journey
increased speed 12km/hr takes the times 5 hrs.What is the distance travelled
(a) 210 kms (b) 30 kms
(c) 20 kms (c) none of these
8. Instead of multiplying a number by 7, the number is divided by 7. What is the percentage of
error obtained ?
57. Find (7x + 4y ) / (x-2y) if x/2y = 3/2 ?
(a) 6 (b) 8 (c) 7 (d) data insufficient
9. Two trains move in the same direction at 50 kmph and 32 kmph respectively. A man in the
slower train observes the 15 seconds elapse before the faster train completely passes by him.
What is the length of faster train ?
(a) 100m (b) 75m
(c) 120m (d) 50m
10. How many mashes are there in 1 squrare meter of wire gauge if each mesh
is 8mm long and 5mm wide ?
(a) 2500 (b) 25000 (c) 250 (d) 250000
11. x% of y is y% of ?
(a) x/y (b) 2y (c) x (d) can't be determined
12. If on an item a company gives 25% discount, they earn 25% profit. If they now give 10%
discount then what is the profit percentage.
(a) 40% (b) 55% (c) 35% (d) 30%
13. A certain number of men can finish a piece of work in 10 days. If however there were 10
men less it will take 10 days more for the work to be finished. How many men were there
(a) 110 men (b) 130 men (c) 100 men (d) none of these
14. In simple interest what sum amounts of Rs.1120/- in 4 years and Rs.1200/- in 5 years ?
(a) Rs. 500 (b) Rs. 600 (c) Rs. 800 (d) Rs. 900
15. If a sum of money compound annually amounts of thrice itself in 3 years. In how many years
will it become 9 times itself.
(a) 6 (b) 8 (c) 10 (d) 12
Directions : In each question, a part of sentence is printed in italics. Below each sentence, some
phrases are given which can substitute the italicized part of the sentence. If the sentence is
correct as it is, the answer is 'No correction required'
1. The problems of translation are still remain.
A. are remain. B. will remained
C. will still remain. D. No Correction required
2. It is ten years since I have begun living here
A. begun B. had begun C. began D. No Correction required
3. Education is a strong instrument for moldings the character of the young.
A. striking B. powerful C. potent D. No Correction required
4. He gave the I.A.S. examination in all seriousness.
A. appeared B. took C. undertook D. No Correction required
5. He has cooked that meal so often he can do it with his eyes closed.
A. mind blank B. eyes covered C. hands full D. No Correction required
6. The young hikers went as far as they finally got lost in the valley.
A. so far that B. too far that C. so far as that D. No Correction required
7. He stopped to work an hour ago
A. to working B. to have worked
C. working D. No Correction required
8. The fact finding committee has so far not made any advancement.
A. progress B. improvement C. stride D. No Correction required
Antoine Lavoisier was a scientist during the time of the French Revolution. Lavoisier is
considered by some to be the father of modern chemistry. He used quantitative measures and
controls with his experiments. He was guillotined in 1974 during the final days of the Reign of
Terror. Lavoisier was a member of French nobility, and he was also a tax collector. Lavoisier’s
discoveries lead to the fall of the phlogiston theory and the creation of modern chemistry
techniques. Many of Lavoisier’s experiments were conducted with the principle of combustion.
Lavoisier proposed that oxygen was the key for combustion to occur. Unfortunately, his death by
the hand of the guillotine left a void in chemistry for some time. The mathematician Lagrange
remarked, “It took but a moment to cut off that head, though a hundred years perhaps will be
required to produce another like it.”
9. This main theme of this passage focuses on
A. the contributions Antoine Lavoisier made to the field of Chemistry
B. the atrocities of the Reign of Terror to the field of science.
C. the life and work of Antoine Lavoisier.
D. the fact that great scientist are rare.
E. the discovery of oxygen as the key factor needed in combustion.
10. The title of this article could be
A. “The Father of Chemistry Beheaded”
B. “Frenchman Killed for Collecting Taxes and Making Advances in the Field of
C. “Chemistry Gets a Head Start”
D. “Antoine Lavoisier Life and Contributions to Chemistry”
E. “Chemistry is set back 100 years with the Death of Its Father.”
11. The article states, “The mathematician Lagrange remarked, “It took but a moment to cut off
that head, though a hundred years perhaps will be required to produce another like it.” What
does this statement mean?
A. The French set back the advancement of the field of chemistry.
B. People should think before they destroy a stain glass window.
C. Decisions made in the heat of the moment can result in the detriment of society.
D. Once something or someone of value is destroyed, it may take a long time to find a
E. Modern chemistry owes many debts to Antoine Lavoisier.
12. SQUALOR :
A. impurity B. wealth C. consumption D. feces E. indigence
13. RETICENT :
A. tired B. forward C. shy D. drained E. elegant
14. NEXUS :
A. separation B. connection C. respect D. vinculum E. distraction
15. NOISOME :
A. fetid B. rank C. salubrious D. pacific E. pestilent
1. Ans: 1 : 2
2. Ans. (b)
3. Ans. (d)
4. Ans. A
5. Ans. A
6. Ans. B
7. Ans. B
8. Ans. C
9. Ans B
10. Ans B
11. Ans. C
12. Ans. D
13. Ans. A
14. Ans. C
15. Ans A
Verbal Ability Answers:
1. Ans : C
2. Ans : C
3. Ans : B
4. Ans: B
5. Ans: D
6. Ans: A
7. Ans : C
8. Ans: A
9. Ans: C
10. Ans: D
11. Ans: D
12. Ans: B
13. Ans: B
14. Ans: A
15. Ans: C