• Entitlement registry
– Holds actionable entitlement data about
subscription data for an institution.
• Private LOCKSS network
– Centrally managed version of LOCKSS, no need to
run a server locally, provides assurance that paid
for content will be available.
Access Nodes: Co-Located Nodes:
plugins & processing
Agreement to deposit
Publisher trusts library
assertions but has access
to a challenge and dispute
Invested in the SafeNet Project
and resulting service.
Responsible for Publisher
LOCKSS @ Stanford
Access to content is
subject to defined
Core Service Components
Private LOCKSS Network
Development and Operational
Management of Entitlement
Registry & Service Interface
Operational Management of the
Co-Located Nodes provide
Node Agreement defines
the overall SafeNet
• Deposit/harvest of
• Conditions resulting
in supply of Post
• Main aim: empower libraries.
• Minimise duplication of work.
• Focus on what it is libraries believe they are
entitled to and explore the most effective ways of
• Working with Jisc Collections and KB+
• Assistance on data gathering from Leeds,
Cambridge, Edinburgh, Sheffield, Bolton, UEA,
• We want more!
What we’re asking
• Collaboration with libraries to explore their
range of subscriptions and any challenges
• Data that libraries have available and their
confidence levels in these sources to make
• How time consuming data gathering may be,
what stage in your existing workflow an
entitlement registry would be useful.
For more information please get in touch: