APTA Emerging and Innovative Technology Committee-20140615
APTA Emerging and Innovative Technology
Angela K. Miller
Vice Chair, Research and Technology Committee
Chair, Emerging Technology and Innovation Subcommittee
• Purpose of the committee
• Goals for the committee
• Discussion of emerging and innovative technology,
and some of the industry trends
• Tasks and approach to meet the workgroup goals
• Next Steps
Goals for Committee
• Drive Industry Innovation
• Create Markets for Emerging Technology in Transit
• Create Value Proposition for Private Sector to Invest
in Technologies that make Public Transit Safer, More
Efficient, and/or User Friendly
Context for why we are focusing in this area
• Did a survey and this rose to the top
• Challenge for our industry
• Aging is a major challenge for the US (and other
countries) over the next 30 years
• This is an underserved market in our industry
Relevant Emerging and Innovative Technologies
• Speech Recognition
• Predictive Analytics
• Location Intelligence
• Gesture Control
• Mesh Networks/LEBT
• Mobile Health Monitoring
• Virtual Assistance
• Big Data
• Internet of Things
• Prescriptive Analytics
Goals for this workgroup
• Foster innovation in the context of what truly benefits
the senior/disabled community?
• Drive investment in an underserved market.
• Help bring focus and efficiency to the most expensive
mode delivered by agencies.
• Assist the social pillar for sustainability plans.
• Create a market for investment in technology that
addresses this segment.
Accomplishments to Date
• Engagement with external entities to help frame the
• Develop TRB Research Statement
• Develop IDEA project
• Preparation for in-depth work at EXPO in Houston
• APTA Annual Emerging Technology Presentation on
the topic (roundtable format)
• Blue Ribbon Workgroup on Task
Objectives of 3D Printing Workgroup
• Evaluate the market and use of 3D printing in the
• Look at applications from signage to maintenance
• Help drive a market for localized manufacturing and
address Buy America issues
• Help address State of Good Repair (SOGR) for older
Accomplishments of Group
• Kicked off in June 2014
• TRB Problem Statement Submissions
• Working on compiling session/vendors for APTA
• White paper on the promise of the technology for
How can you help?
• Going to have several committee meetings this year:
Bus, Multimodal, Rail, Sustainability and Annual.
• Going to need assistance with research.
• Going to need feedback from those with practical
experience on direction.
• Need agencies that can volunteer to partner with private
entities for grant proposals.
• APTA website (for those who are members):