Insect Design VVJ Assignment
For this project wewill becreating an insect sculpture fromrecycled materials.Beforewecan createoursculpture, wemust dosomeserious
planning. In order todo this, youwill need to get 5 images from the internet, photocopies, photographs (not out offocus) or magazines.
Get 5 images of the sameinsectfrom differentangles-this willmakeyour project much easier to plan and create in 3-D.
You will need to understand theanatomy ofaninsect, so check out thediagrambelowwhich willhelpyou identify theimportantparts ofan
Now that you havebeenintroducedto theparts that makeup an insect, begin thecreativeportion ofyour VVJ assignment by:
1. Draw your insectin your VVJ. Start with gesturedrawing the insectfrom the front,side,and top views. Useyourimages to
draw your insects. Developa pagefor eachdrawing-that’s 3 pages.
2. Go over your gesture drawings with contour line.This is youropportunity tosolidify your designanddeveloptheimagethatyou
will eventuallytransforminto a 3-D sculpture. You maysimplify some ofthemorecomplexdetails ofthe insect but do not sacrifice
major components or markings.Ex. Do notremovethespots from a ladybug, or thestripes froma yellow jacket.
3. Label your parts and do not makeup parts from your mind!Remember that advanced journaling requires that youuse textas a
4. You will wantto pay closeattention to the proportions ofthe insect.Remember that proportion is therelationship oftheparts to
one another.One ofthe things wewillbe grading inthesculptureyou construct fromthedrawings youarenowmaking will be
5. Activate thepages. Includecolorin your planning pages so that youcan reference them later as you create your artwork. Be
creative and includeenvironmental details inyour background.
Due Monday, October 25th