How Crowdfunding can solve the
What do we do at ikosom?
• We advice startups, companies, platforms,
creatives and government agencies on the
implementation of crowdfunding campaigns.
• We research the development of the
Crowdfunding market and a releasing
publications and articles on trends in
• Karsten Wenzlaff is the founder of the Institute of Communications for
Social Media (ikosom), a Berlin-based research facility for new forms of
electronic technology. He has received an MPhil in International Relations
with a thesis on international financial regulation from the University of
• He is author of the first European Crowdfunding-Survey and author of the
first survey of Crowdfunding in Germany. He also published the first
German Crowdsourcing Report, for which he and the co-authors have
reveiced the “New Book Award” at the German Book Fair in Frankfurt.
Within ikosom he has collaborated with a number of academics and
published sector specific surveys.
• In April 2013 he organized the first international Crowdfunding congress in
Germany. He is a member of the Board of the German Crowdsourcing
Association and initated the German Crowdfunding Network. Karsten was
nominated to be a member of the European Crowdfunding Stakeholder
Forum, an advisory body to the European Commission.
• Difference to all other projects:
– Crowdfunding done for Refugees vs
Crowdfunding done by Refugees
• Aim: Creating a Crowdfunding-Platform for
Refugees in Germany
• Supported by a number of partners, among them
leading Crowdfunding platforms in Europe.