• - are descriptive scoring schemes that are
developed by the teachers or other
evaluators to guide the analysis of the
products or process of students’ efforts.
• - are typically employed when a
judgement of quality is required and
maybe used to evaluate a broad range of
• The criteria for a scoring rubrics are
statements which identify “what really
counts” in the final output.
Major criteria for product
• Aesthetics 3.3 scoring
Topic: Three hundred years of Spanish rule in the
• Interrelates the chronological events in an
• Identifies the key players in each period of the
Spanish rule and the roles that they played.
• Succeeds in relating the history of Philippine
Spanish rule. 3.3 scoring
When are the scoring rubrics an
appropriate evaluation technique?
• - Grading essays is just one example
of performances that may be
evaluated using scoring rubrics.
Scoring rubrics may be used:
• Evaluate group activities
• Extend projects and oral
• Checklist may be used rather than
scoring rubrics in the evaluation of
• Enumerate a set of desirable
characteristics which are actually
• Based on descriptive scales and
support the evaluation of the extent to
which criteria have met.
• “purpose of assessment”
Benefits of scoring rubrics in
the evaluation process
• 1. support the examination of the
extent to which the specified criteria
have been reached.
• 2. provide feedback to students
concerning how to improve their
performances. 3.3 scoring
General vs. Task Specific.
• The identification of the qualities and
attributes that the teacher wishes to observe
in the students’ outputs that would
demonstrate their level of proficiency.
• determined whether holistic or an
analytical rubric would be more
• The identification and definition of
the criteria for lowest level of
Process of development scoring rubrics
A note of caution:
• It is suggested that each score
category should be defined using
descriptors of the work rather than
value-judgement about the work
• For example,” student’s sentences
contain no errors in subject-verb
agreements,” is preferable over,
“student’s sentences are good”.
published by www.Kingsoftstore.com