• Demographic are objective, quantifiable, easily
identifiable and measurable population data .
•Groups of consumers and individuals can be identified in
terms such demographics variables as ;
Include the laws, regulations and social pressure affecting
Many retailing decisions that depends on the political
development in a nation’s environment.
Reason for such rules is to protect the competition among
companies as well as depending customers from unruly
business activities .
Economics environment for retailing
comprises the overall economy including
business cycles, consumer income and
A retail cycle is pattern of the level of
business activity. Business activity can be
move from prosperity to recession.
Consumer income refers to the amount of
individual or household income .
Factors in retail environment that retailer
need to determine is societal changes in retail
industry such as ;
- Ageing of the population.
- rising proportion of one and two-person
- rising proportion of single-parent
- increased workforce participation by
A) New consumerism movement in retailing .
• Consumers are becoming more price-conscious.
• Consumers are more knowledgeable and selective than in
the past, retailer must offer fair value
• The use of self-service is increasing, and it can cause
frustration for some shoppers .
B) Nature of retailer institution .
• Stability of our economic attract foreign retailer make their
business in our country
• Retail industry become more wider and global
• New technologies .
THE RETAILER’S RESPONSE TO THE
> Retailers should be keep on
changing due to the customers
> Fashion items – should be alert
on trend changes .
> Technology – as a first retailer
sell the product .
THE EFFECTS OF CHANGING OF
SOCIAL TREND IN CUSTOMERS
- is the single most reliable indicator
of the person’s income potential,
attitudes and spending habits.
MARRIAGE and DIVORCE
- These new household need certain
items such as furniture and kitchen
appliances, televisions and others.
- Basic consumer unit for most
products, household growth and
consumer demand go together