• Pick-A-Crowd: A system architecture that uses
– The worker’s social profile
– The task context
• Workers can provide higher quality answers
on tasks they relate to
Djellel Eddine Difallah, Gianluca Demartini, and Philippe Cudré-Mauroux. Pick-A-Crowd: Tell Me
What You Like, and I'll Tell You What to Do. In: 22nd International Conference on World Wide
Web (WWW 2013), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 2013.
• Task-to-Worker recommendation /
• Experimental comparison with AMT shows a
consistent quality improvement
“Workers Know what they Like”
• Yet another a platform? Build on top of Mturk!
• Chrome Extension for push / notification
• 400+ users
• Open source:
Gianluca Demartini 11
• Transactive Memories
• Transactive Search:
– Memory reconstructed by a group of people
– Need to target the right people
– A form Targeted Crowdsourcing
• “Who attended the ISWC 2013 conference?”
• Machines: Harvest the Web + Data Mining
• Crowd: Search twitter, look at event pictures
• Transactive Memories: Remember who I met
Gianluca Demartini 14
Michele Catasta, Alberto Tonon, Djellel Eddine Difallah, Gianluca Demartini, Karl Aberer, and
Philippe Cudré-Mauroux. Hippocampus: Answering Memory Queries using Transactive Search.
In: 23rd International Conference on World Wide Web (WWW 2014), Web Science Track. Seoul,
South Korea, April 2014.
• Crowdsourcing For Tail Entities
• Focusing on the difficult part of the KB
– The tail is long!
– Which tail entities are valuable?
– Who is the right worker?
– Focus on passion rather than monetary incentives