25. 120 Simulation tools 1,200 Seminars, podcasts, etc. 77,000 Users worldwide 550 Contributors Developed by the NSF Network for Computational Nanotechnology Online since October 2002 [Michael McLennan] http://nanoHUB.org
30. The reproducible and interactive research documents* Mixed stewardship research documents The recombinant, compound research documents The virtual research document Multi-versioned, dynamic research document *Papers, Books, whatever. 2020
31. Data, image, model, process, workflow, podcast, slideset* Finding, citation, peer review, preservation, identity, versioning, security, privacy, copyright management, format authority Authority on metadata descriptions Propagation of descriptions * Insert new research commodity type here 2020
32. What does this mean for library services? Seamless interlinking of data, literature and other research commodities Integrated search across external resources Selective quality curation Hell is other people’s (lack of) semantic metadata 2020
33. Supporting Paul, The Scientist Search/Discover Serendipitous Finding Collaborative Searching Structural Search Keeping Current Gather Collecting Manage Organizing Create Annotating Review & Rate Describe Write Share Publish Sharing Rights Integrated search Automatic paper download Continual queries Paper recommendation Alert Project and Personal Internal search Refereed and Grey literature Tag, annotate, rate Templates Multi-author authoring Bibliography management Version management Copyright tools (CC and SC) Linking up data, models and other components [Roger Barga]
57. What is the role of the library? Trusted curator Trusted data manager Quality arbiter Knowledge disseminator Format authority Add value content provider Metadata / controlled vocabulary provider Add value service provider 2020
65. What does this mean for library services? With not For Opening up to researcher’s tools and research environments for discovery, management and curation of research commodities Enabling and encouraging new services and new content to add new value Remove obstacles to interoperate and share Collaborate, don’t control
This presentation was made to the British Library Board Awayday on 22-24 September. as part of a discussion on their vision for 2020 The board are mostly not technical and many are not familiar with scientific research practice. The speakers before me were Kate Worlock and Charlie Leadbeater who had both spoken about the web 2.0 social and collective intelligence aspects of the Web and publishing. Charlie called this commons based production. http://www.bl.uk/ FUTURE OF PUBLISHING / SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATION Presentation and discussion led by Kate Worlock. SOCIAL IMPACT OF THE INTERNET IN THE 21ST CENTURY Presentation and discussion led by Charlie Leadbeater.