Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.
THE SIR JOHN T. GILBERT
               COMMEMORATIVE LECTURE, 2010




         Commodious Temples
Roman Catholic church b...
Saint Patrick’s church, Waterford   Interior
Photo: Brendan Grimes (1991)        Photograph from Edward McParland, Public ...
Saint Teresa’s, Clarendon Street (1793)   Saint Teresa’s chapel
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2010)              Source: Ordnance...
Saint Mary’s, Pro-Cathedral, Marlborough Street   Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street   Saint Andrew’s, Westland Row


...
Saint Mary’s, Moorfields, London
                                                           (destroyed 1902)
Saint Mary’s, ...
Saint Mary’s, Pro-Cathedral, Marlborough Street   Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street   Saint Andrew’s, Westland Row


...
e ree Patrons of Ireland, Rathgar




Our Lady of Refuge, Rathmines



                                Adam and Eve’s, f...
Saint Teresa’s, Clarendon Street (1793)                                        Saint Teresa’s chapel
Photo: Brendan Grimes...
Saints Michael and John, Blind uay, Dublin           Saints Michael and John
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2004)                ...
Saint Michan’s, North Anne Street, Dublin
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
is is the oldest Catholic church in Dublin still
i...
Saint Mary’s, Pro-Cathedral, Marlborough Street
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)                      11
Saint-Philippe-du-Roule, Paris
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2003)

Designed by Jean-François-Chalgrin in 1764 and
built between ...
Saint-Philippe-du-Roule, rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré, Paris
Source: Direction des affaires culturelles, Paris. Original s...
Saint Mary’s, Pro-Cathedral Interior from organ gallery          Saint-Philippe-du-Roule, Paris
Source: Irish Architectura...
Our Lady of Mount Carmel, York Row
Source: G. N. Wright, Ireland illustrated om the original drawings of G. Petrie, Esq. ...
Our Lady of Mount Carmel
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2005)

In 1844 the church was extended to the north and part of
Papworth’s...
Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street
Source: Dublin Penny Journal, 29
December 1832

Designed by John Leeson and started...
Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street
                                         18
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street (1829)
                                                19
Photo: Brendan Grimes (20...
Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street (1829)
                                                20
Photo: Brendan Grimes (20...
Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street
Angels by Francesco Pozzi
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2004)


                          ...
Notre-Dame-de-Lorette, Paris (1823), architect
                                                                           ...
Saint Francis Xavier                                                    Saint Francis Xavier
                             ...
Saint Francis Xavier, Upper Gardiner Street (1829)   24
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
Saint Francis Xavier, Upper Gardiner Street (1829)
Photos: Brendan Grimes (2009)                        25
Saint Andrew’s Westland Row (1832)
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2008)
Saint Andrew’s Westland Row (1832)
                                     28
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
Saint Andrew’s Westland Row (1832)
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)         29
Saint Andrew’s Westland Row (1832)
                                     30
Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
Saint Andrew’s
Source: St Andrew’s Catholic Annual, 1933-4

e rails to segregate the congregation have since been removed...
Adam and Eve’s
Adam and Eve’s, Merchants’ uay
                                                                           ...
Adam and Eve’s
Source: Franciscan Library, Killiney, reproduced in Peter
Costello, Dublin churches, Dublin 1989

is photo...
Dominican chapel, Denmark Street
Source: [Hugh Fenning], St Saviour's church Dublin: centenary 1861-1961, Dublin 1961

Thi...
Saint Paul’s Arran uay (1835)   Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
Photo: Brendan Grimes                                       ...
Saint Paul’s Arran uay (1835), Catholic Penny Journal, 10 January 1835
                                                  ...
Saint Audoen’s, High Street
Source: Catholic directory (1844), between 388 and 389
It was intended to put statues of the a...
Saint Audoen’s, High Street (1841)
                                     38
Photos: Brendan Grimes (2009)
39
Saint Audoen’s               Notre-Dame-de-Lorette        Saint-Symphorien de Montreuil    Saint-Germain-en-Laye




Saint...
brendan.grimes@dit.ie



                                  The Directors of Irish Academic Press
                         ...
Commodious Temples: Catholic church building in nineteenth-century Dublin
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Commodious Temples: Catholic church building in nineteenth-century Dublin

4,569 views

Published on

On Thursday 21 January 2010 the thirteenth annual Sir John T. Gilbert Commemorative Lecture was held at Dublin City Library and Archive, Pearse Street. The Lord Mayor of Dublin, Councillor Emer Costello, was chairman for the evening. City Librarian, Deirdre Ellis-King, welcomed the capacity audience and introduced the Lord Mayor.

The thirteenth lecture was given by Brendan Grimes, Dublin School of Architecture, D.I.T. Bolton Street. Brendan Grimes lecture, Commodious temples: Catholic church building in nineteenth-century Dublin, brought the audience on a fascinating tour of Dublin churches such as Saint Nicholas of Myra's, Saint Audeon's and Saint Francis Xavier's.

Commodius Temples Publication details http://bit.ly/1lyc7kQ

Published in: Education, Spiritual
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Commodious Temples: Catholic church building in nineteenth-century Dublin

  1. 1. THE SIR JOHN T. GILBERT COMMEMORATIVE LECTURE, 2010 Commodious Temples Roman Catholic church building in nineteenth-century Dublin Brendan Grimes 21 January 2010
  2. 2. Saint Patrick’s church, Waterford Interior Photo: Brendan Grimes (1991) Photograph from Edward McParland, Public architecture in Ireland 1680-1760, Yale 2001 2
  3. 3. Saint Teresa’s, Clarendon Street (1793) Saint Teresa’s chapel Photo: Brendan Grimes (2010) Source: Ordnance survey map 1838-47 3
  4. 4. Saint Mary’s, Pro-Cathedral, Marlborough Street Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street Saint Andrew’s, Westland Row Saint Francis Xavier, Upper Gardiner Street Saint Paul’s, Arran uay Saint Audoen’s, High Street 4
  5. 5. Saint Mary’s, Moorfields, London (destroyed 1902) Saint Mary’s, Pope’s uay, Cork S ourc e : John Britton, and Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009) Augustus Pugin, Illustrations of public buildings in London, volume Cathedral church of Saint Mel, Designed by Kearns Deane for the Dominicans and built in 2, London 1828 Longford 1832-9. is church with its handsome Ionic portico Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009) overlooking the river was meant to raise the esteem Saint Mary’s (RC), Moorfields, accorded to and felt by the Catholics of Cork. was designed by John Newman. Started in 1840 to the designs of John B. e foundation stone was laid on Keane, this neo-classical church uses a 5 August 1817 and the building basilican plan similar in many respects to completed in 1820. Saint Mary’s the plan of the Pro-Cathedral which was well-known to contemporary Keane knew well having worked there clerics and architects interested in for many years during the construction church architecture. Behind the of the east portico. altar was a painting of the e tower was added by John Bourke crucifixion by Agostino Aglio lit and the portico was completed in 1893 by a hidden lighting source. e under the direction of George Ashlin. same idea was used by Patrick Byrne in Saint Paul’s, Arran uay. 5
  6. 6. Saint Mary’s, Pro-Cathedral, Marlborough Street Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street Saint Andrew’s, Westland Row Saint Francis Xavier, Upper Gardiner Street Saint Paul’s, Arran uay Saint Audoen’s, High Street 6
  7. 7. e ree Patrons of Ireland, Rathgar Our Lady of Refuge, Rathmines Adam and Eve’s, façade to Merchants’ uay 7
  8. 8. Saint Teresa’s, Clarendon Street (1793) Saint Teresa’s chapel Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009) Source: Google Earth - accessed 12 January 2009 1793-1810, architect Timothy Beahan 1865, south extension, east transept, architect John Bourke 1876, west transept & facade to Clarendon Street, architects O’Neill & Byrne 8
  9. 9. Saints Michael and John, Blind uay, Dublin Saints Michael and John Photo: Brendan Grimes (2004) Source: Desmond Guinness, Georgian Dublin, London 1979 e church of Saints Michael and John was designed by John Taylor in 1815 and built on the site of the Smock Alley theatre incorporating some of the old structure. Saints Michael and John Source: Ordnance survey map 1838-47 9
  10. 10. Saint Michan’s, North Anne Street, Dublin Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009) is is the oldest Catholic church in Dublin still in use for its original purpose. e foundation Saint Michan’s, North Anne Street, Dublin stone was laid in 1810 and the church opened Photo: Brendan Grimes (2010) for use in 1816. It was designed by O’Brien and Gorman of whom little is known. 10
  11. 11. Saint Mary’s, Pro-Cathedral, Marlborough Street Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009) 11
  12. 12. Saint-Philippe-du-Roule, Paris Photo: Brendan Grimes (2003) Designed by Jean-François-Chalgrin in 1764 and built between 1774 and 1784. e front façade has a tetrastyle Doric portico but the columns have bases and are unfluted. e plan of Saint-Philippe-du-Roule was copied or adapted for many other basilican style churches including the Pro-Cathedral. 12
  13. 13. Saint-Philippe-du-Roule, rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré, Paris Source: Direction des affaires culturelles, Paris. Original source not stated. Saint-Philippe-du-Roule was designed by Jean-François-Chalgrin in 1764 and built between 1774 and 1784. As shown here, and as built, there was no ambulatory behind the apse, as in the Pro-Cathedral. This was re-ordered in 1846 by Hippolyte Godde to the present plan shown. This means that the apsidal arrangement in the Pro-Cathedral was not copied from Saint-Philippe-du-Roule. 13
  14. 14. Saint Mary’s, Pro-Cathedral Interior from organ gallery Saint-Philippe-du-Roule, Paris Source: Irish Architectural Archive reproduced in Michael Photo: Brendan Grimes (2003) MacCarthy, ‘Dublin’s Greek Pro-Cathedral’, in James Kelly & Dáire Keogh, History of the Catholic diocese of Dublin, Dublin There are 22 free standing Ionic columns inside. The 2000 interior is lit by three windows in each aisle and two high level windows over the embryonic crossing. This photograph was taken before the altar rails and the rails As built originally there was no ambulatory behind the dividing the nave from the aisles were removed but after the apse and the apsidal columns were engaged in a wall south portico was filled in. with niches. This was re-ordered in 1846 by Hippolyte Godde who also built the Chapelle de la Vierge and introduced the windows into the vault 14
  15. 15. Our Lady of Mount Carmel, York Row Source: G. N. Wright, Ireland illustrated om the original drawings of G. Petrie, Esq. and others, London 1840 e first stone was laid on 25 October 1825 by the Archbishop of Dublin, Dr Daniel Murray. It was raised by the exertions, and under the superintendence of the Prior of the Order, the Very Reverend John Spratt and solemnly consecrated by Dr Murray, on 11 November 1827. Note the rail dividing the congregation according to class. e wealthy part of the congregation are nearest the altar and have seats and the poor have to stand or kneel on the floor at a distance from the altar. 15
  16. 16. Our Lady of Mount Carmel Photo: Brendan Grimes (2005) In 1844 the church was extended to the north and part of Papworth’s original church was incorporated into the south aisle (shown here). In 1859 the church was altered and added to by J. J. McCarthy. In 1951 the High Altar was moved from the East to the West end. e original classical altar surround has been removed. Chapel of the Carmelite friary Source: Ordnance survey map 1864 16
  17. 17. Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street Source: Dublin Penny Journal, 29 December 1832 Designed by John Leeson and started in 1829. A similar engraving showing the church and part of the presbyteries is reproduced in the Catholic Penny Magazine, I:11, 26 April 1834. e design was not fully realised; the spire was omitted and only one of the presbyteries was built. 17
  18. 18. Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street 18 Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
  19. 19. Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street (1829) 19 Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
  20. 20. Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street (1829) 20 Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
  21. 21. Saint Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street Angels by Francesco Pozzi Photo: Brendan Grimes (2004) 21
  22. 22. Notre-Dame-de-Lorette, Paris (1823), architect Hippolyte Lebas Photo: Brendan Grimes (2003) Saint Francis Xavier, Upper Gardiner Street (1829), architect John B. Keane Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009) 22
  23. 23. Saint Francis Xavier Saint Francis Xavier Photo: National Library of Ireland R1190 Source: National Library of Ireland, reproduced in Maureen Ryan, ‘Roman opulence in a Dublin church: the high altar of St Francis is photograph, taken in the early 1900s shows a richly furnished Xavier’s’, Irish Arts Review yearbook 1998, XIV, 33-9. and painted interior. Note the gated railings in the nave at the crossing. e original altar rails were made of carved wood, but is engraving was published in 1832 and shows the church before these were replaced with Victorian marble rails (seen here) which in the extension of the apse, and the insertion of the confessionals e their turn were removed. same engraving was reproduced on the title page of the Catholic Penny Magazine, I:3, 1 March 1834. 23
  24. 24. Saint Francis Xavier, Upper Gardiner Street (1829) 24 Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
  25. 25. Saint Francis Xavier, Upper Gardiner Street (1829) Photos: Brendan Grimes (2009) 25
  26. 26. Saint Andrew’s Westland Row (1832) Photo: Brendan Grimes (2008)
  27. 27. Saint Andrew’s Westland Row (1832) 28 Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
  28. 28. Saint Andrew’s Westland Row (1832) Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009) 29
  29. 29. Saint Andrew’s Westland Row (1832) 30 Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009)
  30. 30. Saint Andrew’s Source: St Andrew’s Catholic Annual, 1933-4 e rails to segregate the congregation have since been removed, as has the pulpit, some of the fittings from the altars, and the suspended lighting. Note the ample space provided in the nave for standing room. 31
  31. 31. Adam and Eve’s Adam and Eve’s, Merchants’ uay Source: Ordnance survey map 1864 Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009) e transept is the only part of the interior that retains original work from the 1830s by James Bolger Adam and Eve’s Source: Ordnance survey map 1838-47 32
  32. 32. Adam and Eve’s Source: Franciscan Library, Killiney, reproduced in Peter Costello, Dublin churches, Dublin 1989 is photograph was taken from the west balcony before the apse was enlarged or the nave extended. Note the rails for segregating the congregation and the north balcony. e treatment of the sanctuary with its three pedimented altar frames, the coved ceiling, lighting above the cornice, and the Adam and Eve’s Façade to Merchants’ uay, Dublin articulation of the wall surfaces is closely related to Bolger’s Photo: Brendan Grimes (2004) handling of the interior of Saint Andrew’s. e original intention was to build an Ionic portico to Merchants’ uay. It was not until the early 1860s that the Franciscans could afford to build the façade which was designed by Patrick Byrne. e inspiration for the façade comes from the architecture of 16th Italy. 33
  33. 33. Dominican chapel, Denmark Street Source: [Hugh Fenning], St Saviour's church Dublin: centenary 1861-1961, Dublin 1961 This classical façade was built by the Dominicans in 1835 as part of the re-modelling to their church which had been built in 1780. The church was converted for use as a school when the Dominicans built their new church in the 1860s in Dominic Street. The old church and its façade were demolished in the 1960s. 34
  34. 34. Saint Paul’s Arran uay (1835) Photo: Brendan Grimes (2009) Photo: Brendan Grimes 35
  35. 35. Saint Paul’s Arran uay (1835), Catholic Penny Journal, 10 January 1835 36
  36. 36. Saint Audoen’s, High Street Source: Catholic directory (1844), between 388 and 389 It was intended to put statues of the apostles in the niches in the nave, but they were never put in. Note the rail dividing the nave from the transept. 37
  37. 37. Saint Audoen’s, High Street (1841) 38 Photos: Brendan Grimes (2009)
  38. 38. 39
  39. 39. Saint Audoen’s Notre-Dame-de-Lorette Saint-Symphorien de Montreuil Saint-Germain-en-Laye Saint-Pierre-du-Gros-Caillou Saint-Denis-du-Saint-Sacrement Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Nouvelle Saint-Philippe-du-Roule Dr Brendan Grimes School of Architecture Dublin Institute of Technology January 2010
  40. 40. brendan.grimes@dit.ie The Directors of Irish Academic Press cordially invite you to a reception to celebrate the launch of Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries The Church Architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783–1864 Brendan Grimes Speaker Archbishop Diarmuid Martin To be held at Saint Paul’s Church Arran Quay Dublin 1 on Monday 25th January 2010 6-8 pm The Church will also be open for guests to visit should they wish to do so RSVP Karen O Donoghue T: 01 298 9937 F: 01 298 2783 E: info@iap.ie

×