Quality : Create unique, interesting and useful content.Trust: Work on getting trustworthy sites linking to your site. Be sure to manage the anchor text they use.Popularity: Being popular helps. While quality of your inbound links matters more, having a number of trustworthy links pointed at your content helps, too.Timeliness: Practice frequent updating of your sites or blogs. Visitors like to know your site is current.Simplicity: Make it easy to Like and Share content. Enable functionality which encourages visitors to share your content. Share: Include links in Tweets and Updates via your own social spaces. As we’ve seen, the perceived quality of your tweets and posts increases when you include links to relevant, useful content.Relationships: Seek ways to encourage trust-worthy people to share your links or tweets. Avoid spammy clumps or groups who randomly retweet or like things. Organic is best.Frequency: The number of people retweeting or Liking what you said/shared in the last minute, hour, day, week is easily seen by the engines. Work to increase your influence.Change: Be prepared to turn on a dime, and for the flash mob as new things go viral. Focus shifts quickly today, so be ready to take advantage of shifts as they occur.
Techstars Startup Incubator SEO & Social deck
@duaneforresterBing Webmaster ToolsSpeaks at shows, runs forums andblog, provides guidance on new WMtoolswww.bing.com/toolbox/webmastersDoes he have a clue?12+ years as an inhouse SEO; ran seo atMSN; has helped Disney, GAP, Walmart +http://www.linkedin.com/in/dforresterAnd this helps me how?Blogging since 2001; owns 150 domains;actively optimizes and monetizeshttp://twitter.com/DuaneForresterwhat does duane do at bingYour data, always fully provided.
A Changing Web of Your ObjectsSchema.org can helpMark up your contentYour data, always fully provided.
• Signal of topical authority• Real-time – engines want freshcontent, fast• Integrated social signals influence clickactions of searchers• Social signals remain only a few ofthousands of signals for organicrankingHow users click on your results can impact rankings and when we show cues like yourFacebook friends with results, click rates can be impacted.Your data, always fully provided.
Social Graph and PatternsSocial GraphFocusPatternsNaturalUnnaturalQuality TrustPopularity TimelinessYou:FollowersFollowsLikesRepliesRetweets/Likes(by whom)Follows(Twitter)Followers(Twitter)Who elsePosts/Shares(reputation)Fans(Facebook)Your data, always fully provided.
Where does SEO fit in?Content Social User Experience Link Building SEOYour data, always fully provided.
• Every area of your site has avalue - $, PV, Emails, etc.• Determine what the value is• Sort your site by value to seewhat really matters• Organize work around high-value areas firstYour data, always fully provided.
• The engines respond tounique, useful content• How do you define “content”?• Match content to your audience• Different mediums for differentjobs (video, text, images, etc.)• Don’t take shortcuts – limitsyndicated contentimage credit: http://mashable.com/2011/01/10/social-content-strategy/Your data, always fully provided.
• It will always begin here• Match data from externalsources against your own data• Develop “Share of Voice”reporting to explain success• Back to sessions – createkeyword campaigns aroundtopicsYour data, always fully provided.
• Query is a single action• Session is a collection of related actions over timeYour data, always fully provided.dog • Monday• dog beds• dog accessories• dog toys• vet near me• dog friendly hotels• organic dog food• doggy day care• Tuesday• dog sweaters• dog collars• dog leashes• puppy training• dog park• dog allergies• pictures of dogsSessionQuery
• So you want more shares for your content, do you?Try these ideas.• Create lists: people love to consume content inlist-form. Its quick, easy and simple.• Use hooks: ego, humor, anger, contrarian – becareful with them, but when used well, they arehighly effective.• Participate in communities: when you arevalued member of a community, the communitysupports you.• Share others’ information: people love whenwhat they share gets shared itself. Share fromtrusted sources.• Ask questions: your followers will love theinteraction and it’ll grow your following asothers engage.Your data, always fully provided.
Your data, always fully provided.Trusted RSS feedsCopy &PasteAUTOMATEDAUTOMATEDMANUAL
Your data, always fully provided.• Different sources must be handleddifferently• Organic traffic is building trust• Paid traffic is ready to open their wallets• Email traffic is ready to buy…now• Ensure your conversion path is shortand sweet• Off the shelf carts can usually be tweakedto gain improvements in conversions.