So once we have all these objects, and begin to understand intent, we can do some magic
SEO 101 deck for 3dCart webinar
@duaneforresterBing Webmaster ToolsSpeaks at shows, runs forums and blog,provides guidance on new WM toolswww.bing.com/toolbox/webmastersDoes he have a clue?12+ years as an inhouse SEO; ran seo atMSN; has helped Disney, GAP, Walmart +http://www.linkedin.com/in/dforresterAnd this helps me how?Blogging since 2001; owns 150 domains;makes money onlinehttp://twitter.com/DuaneForresterwhat does duane do at bingYour data, always fully provided.
Throwing rocks Smoke signalsMercantile shopsMail order cataloguesBillboardsTelevisionRadioSocialEmailSEOPPCTrading goodsMan’s History of MarketingImage credit: www.conducthq.comYour data, always fully provided.
Data credit: gossip.greenlightdigital.com/blog/the-history-and-evolution-of-seo/• Keyword stuffingall the rage• SE submissionshelp rankings• Dawn of modern searchengines w/Altavista• Death of SE submissions• SEO software worksvery well for #1placements• cloaking makes itsappearance• Google and MSN Search launch• Word spreads that links help rankings• DMOZ launches and starts directorymovement• Google Toolbar shows PR –drives link requests• Google fights spamwith Florida update;hurts legit sites• Blogging takes off• Text Link Ads createsnetwork link buying• First paid linknetwork appears• First SEO conferenceheld: SE Strategies1994 19992012201120101995 1997 1998 2000 2002 2003 20042005 2006 2007 2008 2009• Universal search appears• Text Link Ads banned by Google• Wikipedia shows the future –domain authority throughcontent depth• Nofollow tags appear;PR sculpting follows• G Jagger/BigDaddyupdates seek link spam• XML sitemapsjointly supportedby all engines• Google notes the“sandbox”• Link Farms appear2013• Google’s “Brand”update uses “trustsignals” to restackSERP aroundbrands• Bing partners withFacebook tointegrate socialsignals into SERPs• rich snippetsstarting to be usedby sites• Canonical tagappears• Caffeine rolls outallowing fasterindexing – “realtime” search is here• Tweets integratedshowing future ofsocial influencingsearch• Socialsignals• Mobile• Gestures• Voice• Google launches G+• G launches +1, tellssites they rankbetter displaying it• Bing expandssocial inclusionwith FB, Twitter &4Square• Rich Snippetsimpacting SERPs?Your data, always fully provided.
Your data, always fully provided.Orange• Paid ads – you pay per click for traffic• Auction-based system• Higher bid; higher placementGreen• Organic results• SEO works here• Trusted results• Clicks are freeRed• Shopping results• Combination of organically sourced andpaid inclusion results• Not as wide a net as organic, but morefocused than paid adsMoreOrganic
• Build social followers & fansorganically• Wall posts/tweets with links areperceived as more credible anduseful• Get the basics of SEO covered, thenfocus on content• Its worth repeating: unique,compelling content still worksYour data, always fully provided.
• The engines really respondto unique, useful content• Your visitors respond tothis as well• It’s a wise investment ofyour time• Don’t take shortcuts – limitsyndicated contentimage credit: http://mashable.com/2011/01/10/social-content-strategy/Your data, always fully provided.
• The Internet is B.I.G. Slice anddice to find your niche.• Plenty of niche areas toexplore/exploit – start yourfight where you can dominate• Choose your voice wisely;don’t be afraid to express aninformed opinion• Watch what users respond to,then amplify along those linesYour data, always fully provided.
• Know exactly what usersare searching for• Data can help you uncovernew niches or refine yourfocus• Helps keep you focused oncreating compellingcontent• Got writers block? Checkyour keyword research forinspirationYour data, always fully provided.
• Start with your Home page,categories, products, etc…• Then…when you have numbers…• Every area of your site has a value- $, PV, Emails, etc.• Determine what the value is• Sort your site by value to seewhat really matters• Organize work around high-valueareas firstYour data, always fully provided.
• SEO is not just content• SEO can be affected bytechnical elements• You need both• Content can win, buttechnical SEO helpsYour data, always fully provided.
• Skip m. domains• m. domains produce unwantedduplication• Responsive design is your friend• HTML5 can helpYour data, always fully provided.
Authority Building Short ListKnow the topic inside outEngage your communityShare useful content freelyBe consistent and usefulMarket your strengthsBe a go-to resourceLearn to spot trends in dataYour data, always fully provided.
• What else will be considered “search”?• Mobile image capturing• Voice activated search• APPs are refined search experiences• Gestures could indicate search intent• Look at kids today and the habits theyare developing to help understandwhat they will need in the future fromtechnologyThink about how people looking for your business will find you using the technologiesavailable to them. Smart phones, in-car systems, tablets, xBox, etc.Your data, always fully provided.
Where does SEO fit in?Content Social User Experience Link Building SEOYour data, always fully provided.
Search – you’re trying to solve…QUALITY TIMELINESSPOPULARITYTRUSTWhen optimizing your site for search, you invest in these major areasContentLinksAppearanceAuthorityUsefulnessResourceTrafficRepeat VisitsLinksCurrentFreshRelevantYour data, always fully provided.
Search – were trying to solve…ComScore and Microsoft Internal Analysis 2010Your data, always fully provided.
A Changing Web of Your ObjectsSchema.org can helpMark up your contentYour data, always fully provided.
Search - EvolvedDeliver knowledge by computationally understanding user intent.“home gym”• Purchase• Install• Sell• Set fire to• Impress friends• Who• Where• Others• Semantic• ResearchContentSocialMediaReal Time+ Signals“Linda” Query Intent Detection Task DerivationYour data, always fully provided.
• Signal of topical authority• Real-time – engines want freshcontent, fast• Integrated social signals influence clickactions of searchers• Social signals remain only a few ofthousands of signals for organicrankingHow users click on your results can impact rankings and when we show cues like yourFacebook friends with results, click rates can be impacted.Your data, always fully provided.
Your data, always fully provided.• Different sources must be handleddifferently• Organic traffic is building trust• Paid traffic is ready to open their wallets• Email traffic is ready to buy…now• Ensure your conversion path is shortand sweet• Off the shelf carts can usually be tweakedto gain improvements in conversions.