Month Presenter(s) Topic
January 2018 Adam Stephenson Make your life easier - Build a dev-bot !
February 2018 David O'Brien (MVP) Containers on Windows Nanoserver
March 2018 Microsoft Brisbane CSAs Assorted Topics
April 2018 Dan Dekel Azure Deployment Slots and How to Use Them
May 2018 Glenn Stephens Improving your Apps decisions w/Azure Cognitive Services
June 2018 JiaJi Chen Azure Bot Services
July 2018 Andrew Cartwright Welcome to Azure Service Fabric, Be Our Guest
August 2018 Dan Toomey A 360 View of Serverless (and Serverful!) Integration
September 2018 Shahid Iqbal (MVP) Kubernetes, Azure and .NET - What's it all about?
October 2018 Todd Whitehead Training & Deploying Custom AI to the Edge
November 2018 Arun Kumar Getting started with Azure MXCHIP IOT DevKit
December 2018 Various UNCONVENTION 2018.1
Send message on Meetup or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 – (Preview)
Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 takes core capabilities from Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 such as a Hadoop
compatible file system, Azure Active Directory and POSIX based ACLs and integrates them into Azure Blob Storage.
• Azure Storage Explorer support to view and manage data, and access control management
• Support for connecting external tables in SQL Data Warehouse
• Power BI and SQL Data Warehouse supporting the Common Data Model for entities stored in ADLS Gen2
• Storage Firewall and Virtual Network rules integration for all analytics services
• Encryption of data at rest as encryption in transit via TLS 1.2
• Ability to mount an ADLS Gen2 filesystem into the Databricks File System (DBFS)
VNet for Azure SQL Data Warehouse(GA)
• VNet Service Endpoints enable
you to isolate connectivity to your
logical server from a given subnet
or set of subnets within your
The traffic to Azure SQL Data
Warehouse from your VNet will
always stay within the Azure
Cosmos DB now supports CORS - (GA)
• For the Azure Cosmos DB core SQL API now works in both Node.js and browser environments. This library
can now take advantage of CORS support. There is no client-side configuration needed to use this feature.
Now that the browser can talk directly to Cosmos DB, you can get even higher performance for web
scenarios by avoiding the extra hop through a web app.
• Points for best inline comment
/* Permission token or read only key. Avoid master Key */
Cosmos DB .NET SDK Version 3.0 - (Preview)
• Targets .NET Standard 2.0
• This means you can now use the .NET SDK in both .NET Framework 4.6.1+ and .NET Core 2.0+.
• New Fluent API Surface
• The new programming model
removes the need for UriFactory
and other “noise” from the
• Easier to test - all types made mockable.
• Removed reliance on dynamic
Azure Pipelines – (Announcements)
• Azure Pipelines extension for Visual Studio Code
• GitHub Releases
• Azure DevOps Projects – Azure IoT support
• ServiceNow integration
with Azure Pipelines
Stream Analytics on IoT Edge - (GA)
Why run stream analytics on the Edge?
• Low-latency command and control
For example, manufacturing safety systems
• Limited connectivity to the cloud
such as remote mining equipment
• Limited bandwidth
volume of data produced
• Data privacy
API Management for serverless - (preview)
• New Consumption tier when creating a API Management instance.
• This Consumption tier is designed and implemented around serverless principles
Serverless AKS – (Preview)
• AKS virtual nodes is built by Microsoft on the open-source Virtual Kubelet (VK) project.
• With AKS virtual nodes, you can respond to a spike in demand in seconds by allocating precisely the
number of additional containers that you need, rather than waiting for additional VM-based nodes to spin
Premium Block Blob Storage – (Preview)
• In the demo, the average latency for Standard
is 61.4ms compared to Premium at 5.3ms,
which is more than an order of magnitude
• It is equally important to consistently provide
low latency, which we measure by looking at
the 99th percentile. In the demo, the 99th
percentile for the standard is 287.3ms
compared to 6.9ms for Premium, which is a
whopping 40 times better.
Dedicated HSM - (GA)
• This service is the ideal solution for customers requiring FIPS 140-2 Level 3 validated devices with
complete and exclusive control of the HSM appliance.
Brisbane Tech Christmas Drinks
Brisbane Ruby and Rails
5:00pm – 8:00pm
Grand Central Hotel – Platform Bar
Thursday, 13th December 2018
Low-and-slow Weber control from
anywhere in the world using Azure IOT
Wednesday, 9th January 2019
Azure Australia Slack Team!
On Demand Training - Updates
•Dev/Test in the Cloud
•Getting Started with the Internet of Things (IoT)
•Designing a Hybrid Cloud in Azure
•Docker for Web Developers
•Azure AD for Developers
•Azure For AWS Experts
•Deploying Hybrid Identitity Solutions Using Azure AD
•Monitoring Apps with Application Insights
BAUG Unconvention 2018
Glenn Stephens Microsoft Learn
Peter Fitzsimon Learning Machine Learning with Azure Notebooks
Dan Toomey Teaching messaging patterns to your grandmother
Kevin Leng Migration to Azure using Dynatrace auto discovery and