Minnesota Schools Cutting Carbon Grant Presentation
A Guide for Applying
for Fall 2009 Grants
Patrick Santelli | 30 Sept. 2009
Minnesota Schools Cutting Carbon will award ten to
fifteen grants of up to $20,000.
PLEASE APPLY!!! The application process is not
difficult, and we will help answer your questions.
Get Started: The Request For Proposals is posted on
the MnSCC website at www.SchoolsCuttingCarbon.org.
This is a guide on how to apply for these grants.
Why Should I Apply?
1. GOOD CHANCE OF SUCCESS. Only MNSCC schools
are eligible for these grants—10 to 15 grants for a
maximum of 100 schools.
2. ENERGY SAVING IDEAS ALREADY IDENTIFIED.
The ERM Report already identifies specific energy
savings projects for your school.
3. MAKE A DIFFERENCE! This is a chance to show how
students can make a big impact in your school and
community. We can build momentum!
Why Should I Apply?
4. MORE FUNDING SOURCES ARE POSSIBLE. We will
help you link to other possible energy funds if you
do not receive a grant. We have been in contact
with utilities and looking at new government funds
for energy projects.
5. HELP DEMONSTRATE SUCCESS. MnSCC intends to
promote school efforts at events such as a display
at the State Capitol & Governor’s Mansion; a
display at Living Green Expo; and other events.
We want to recognize YOUR SCHOOL!!
ONLY TWO REQUIREMENTS:
1. Must demonstrate student leadership
2. Must result in measurable reductions in energy use
and greenhouse gas emissions
PROJECT FEATURES: Please be creative in integrating
your project into the curriculum, school operations,
and your community.
form & details
can be found
on the MnSCC
There are four sections to the grant application:
1. Applicant information
2. Project information
3. Project proposal (including work plan, team,
support summary & budget)
4. Conflict of interest disclosure form
The Deadline is December 3rd 2009
There are two ways to submit your application:
1. In‐person delivery: Must be received by 2:00pm
on December 3rd
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
First Floor Reception Area
520 Lafayette Road North
St. Paul, MN 55155‐4194
Attn. Lynette Podritz
2. Mail delivery: Must be postmarked by end of
business day on December 3rd
• 4 copies of your proposal are required—
a signed original proposal and three copies
• Only 1 copy of Conflict of Interest Form is required,
available at www.SchoolsCuttingCarbon.org
• Use recycled paper and double‐sided printing to
reduce paper consumption
• Faxed submittals will not be accepted
See RFP for full grant application evaluation details
• School must be enrolled in the MnSCC program
• Project Impacts (55 points total)
– Energy and carbon impacts; cost/benefit analysis (25 points)
– Sustainable impacts (15 points)
– Educational and other impacts (10 points)
– Measurement and reporting (5 points)
• Project Details (45 points total)
– Project goal, activities and timeline (25 points)
– Student team participation (15 points)
– Other project members (5 points)
• September – November 2009: School teams develop
• Thursday, December 3rd: Deadline for filing grant
applications, either in person at MPCA or by mail
• December: Selections made by the MnSCC judges
• January 1st: Winning schools will be notified
• January 31st: Deadline for schools to sign contracts
to receive grants
• February 1st, 2010 – June 30th, 2011: Schools
implement grant projects
• 40% up front,
• 50% on a reimbursement basis,
• And the last 10% upon project completion, and the
submission and acceptance of a final report
Help is Available!!
If you have questions or want to discuss project ideas,
MnSCC Project Coordinator
Patrick can also discuss your questions with the ERM
consultants who visited your school
• Clean Energy Resource Teams
• Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
• Minnesota Office of Energy Security
• Funding provided by Minnesota Environment and
Natural Resources Trust Fund as recommended by
Legislative‐Citizen Commission on Minnesota
• Environmental Resources Management
• USGBC Mississippi Headwaters Chapter
• Will Steger Foundation
• Youth Energy Summit (YES!)
• Transcampus Energy Action Movement (TEAM MN)
• Youth Environmental Activists (YEA MN)
• Project Green Fleet