• Subatomic particles are particles that are smaller than
atoms. They are present within an atom and cannot be
seen by our naked eyes.
• They have their own distinct characters and are
mainly of two types of Elementary Particles and
• Protons and neutrons are Composite Particles while
Electron is an Elementary Particle.
Quarks can be observed
in Hadrons such as
Baryons i.e. in particles
such as Protons and
Murray Gell-Mann (Right) and
Source: a) Google Images
This is Positronium ,a system that combines Electron with it’s anti particle
Positron. It ( system) is highly unstable as the duo react to give two 2 Gamma
particles. It's lifespan is around 125 picoseconds.
Either Elementary or
Types of Elementary
a) Scalar or Zero Spin –
b) Gauge or Force-
Gluon, Photon and W
and Z Boson.
Graviton ( Hypothetical
Significance of Sub Atomic Particles
• They are produced in cosmic rays and during scattering
processes in particle accelerators.
• Electron, arguably the most important Sub-Atomic Particle
helps in studying and identifying Chemical Properties of
• Proton Therapy is a type of treatment that can be used to treat
• Elimination or Turning off the Higgs Field can result in rapid
Communications and Transmission of Signals.
• Positron is used in PET scan that treat many ailments and
• Most of the Gauge Bosons are used in Super fluidity.