1 LED LIGHT
Paper Circuit Box
1. Cut two squares out of paper. Make one of the squares
smaller than the other. These will be the top and bottom
of your box.
2. Following the instructions below, fold the two squares into boxes. Younger children
may need help with the last step.
1. Fold in half
2. Fold in half
top to bottom
and side to side
3. Fold all corners 4. Fold opposite
into the center
6. Fold sides to the center
then fold along crease
to the center again
8. Fold along the
7. Fold in tips then open
up the sides
3. Poke a small hole in the top (larger) of
your boxes with your pin. Stick the LED into
4. Bend the legs of the LED light into an L
shape so that they follow the top and run
down opposite sides of your box top. Keep
track of which side is positive.
5. Set up the circuit:
• Run the copper tape from the bottom of
the box out to the side. This will be the
• Place a battery negative side down on the
• Run a piece of copper tape from the top of
the battery to the other side of the box.
• Secure the circuit into the box bottom with
a piece of regular tape.
5. Match up the sides, positive LED leg with
positive copper tape side and put the lid on
the box. When the box is closed the circuit
will complete and the LED will light up.
(If the light does not come on you can add
more copper tape or try lightly squeezing
the sides together.)
6. You’re done! Decorate your box and enjoy.
Workshop and instructions by Audrey Fox of Austin
Texas with thanks to Jie Qi of MIT Media Lab’s High
Low Tech for inspiration.