Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
Niger is one of the poorest countries
in the world with very limited
infrastructural development and
an average birth rate of 6.7 children per
family. There is significant open land
for grazing enabling Pastoralists such as
the Bororo (Wodaabe) to effectively
maintain their herds and their traditions.
Other tribal peoples in Niger include
the Hausa, Djerma, Fulani and the
and cell phone
The roads were horrible and the whole caravan
stopped whenever there was car trouble!
Rural Villages with rough fences and animals..
The Gerewol Festival:
Wodaabe Young Men’s
• Annual Gathering of Wodaabe Pastoralists
• Opportunity to Meet Potential Partners
• Community Standards for Male Beauty
• Bright Teeth – Shining Eyes
• Lips flutters / Eye Rolls
• Handmade Costumes
• Celebration of Young Male Sexuality
• Supervised by Elders
• Hookups that could last a lifetime…
• Opportunity for trial Partnerships
Parallels to Burning Man
• Annual Gathering – Home Coming
• Remote Desert
• Fires at Night
• Costumes & Body Decorations
• Opportunities to Meet New Partners
• Can be Brief Hookup
• Can be a Lasting Relationship
• Ritual Activities