Collection of blood for investigation met microteaching ppt
Collection of Blood for
Dr. Shridhar B.
• At the end of this session, the
undergraduate student should be able to :
• Enumerate 3 common sites for blood collection
• Describe the procedure of collection in each of the
• Enumerate all the apparatus needed for the
• Mention at least 3 complications of blood
Common Examinations done on Blood:
Common Sites for obtaining Blood:
• Arteries – Less frequent site
• Early morning collection
• Venous blood preferred
Technique of collection:
• Aseptic precautions
• Explain the procedure
• Seated/ lying down
• Proper identification &
Written informed consent
for HIV testing
General points regarding blood collection
Complications of Venepuncture
• Immediate Local: Haemoconcentration, failure of blood
to enter the syringe, continued bleeding
• Immediate General: Syncope
• Late Local: Thrombosis, thrombophlebitis, haematoma,
• Late General: AIDS/Viral Hepatitis
• Blood collection is a common procedure
used for many common investigations.
• Types / Sites of Blood collection.
• Procedures of each type of collection.