Dr. Jayesh V. Patidar
In this approach, possible solutions are
carefully evaluated & one of them is chosen
The situation is carefully monitored over time
to ensure the initial & continued effectiveness
of the solution.
Therefore, problem solving for one situation
contributes to the nurse’s knowledge for
problem solving in other similar situations.
• In this first step, there is a need to write down
what exactly the problem entails, which helps to
identify the real problem that is under study &
needs an immediate solution.
• To analysis how the problem affects the
researcher & his or her current situation & other
people involved in the situation.
• The gravity of the problem & all the factors that
are contributing to the problem are determined
• Focus must be on identifying & generating all
possible solutions for a problem.
• Each potential idea for solution of a problem
must be considered without discarding it
through value judgment.
• Various factors about each of the potential
solutions are investigated, wherein all the
positive & negative aspects of each solution are
• An attempt is made to compare the
available solutions, & eventually the
best solutions is selected based on
the careful judgment.
• The final step of the problem-solving
process is to practically solve the
problem by implementing the
• After implementation of the most
potential solution, an evaluation is
made to judge the effectiveness of
the solution in resolving the
• It also helps to redefine the
problem & revise the problem-
solving process in case the initial
solution fails to manage the
COMPARISON BETWEEN THE STEPS OF THE RESEARCH
PROCESS AND PROBLEM-SOLVING PROCESS
Research Process Problem-solving Process
State a research question or problem Problem definition
Define the purpose or the rationale for
Review related literature
Formulate hypothesis & define
Select a method to test hypothesis Analyzing the best
Select a population, sample, & setting
Conduct a pilot study
Selecting the best solution(s)
Collect the data
Analyze the data
Implementing the solution(s)