Inferential statistics.ppt

11,344 views

Published on

Published in: Technology
0 Comments
7 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
11,344
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
62
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
862
Comments
0
Likes
7
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Inferential statistics.ppt

  1. 1. INFERENIALSTATISTICSwww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.com
  2. 2. INFERENIAL STATISTICSinvestigate questions, models andhypotheses. In many cases, theconclusions from inferential statisticsextend beyond the immediate dataalone.Statistics that use sample data tomake decision or inferences about apopulationPopulations are the group ofinterest –but data analyzed onsamples. www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  3. 3. INFERENIAL STATISTICSBased on the laws of probabilityThe larger the difference betweenthe groups ,the lower the probabilityis that the difference occurred bychanceBased on the assumption thatsamples are randomly selectedwww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  4. 4. INFERENIAL STATISTICSto make judgments of the probability that anobserved difference between groups is adependable one or one that might have happenedby chance in this study.Thus, inferential statistics to make inferences fromour data to more general conditionswww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  5. 5. PurposesEstimating population parameter from sampledataTesting hypotheseswww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  6. 6. Estimating population parametero Sampling error – when the sampledoes not accurately reflect thepopulationo Sampling distributionwww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  7. 7. Pulse measurements on a population of 20 subjectsAv. pulse rates of agrp.of cardiacpatients66,71,70,67,80,63,65,79,59,70,67,66,70,74,92,80,71,55,83,72Mean pulse rate=71Random sample#1Random sample#2Random sample#3Mean pulse rate ofpopulation=71*Above average forpopulation66,59,70,55,6680,92,83,79,8071,71,70,64,67Mean pulse rate ofRandomsample#3=71Mean=61Mean=83*Mean=71Mean pulse rate ofRandomsample#1Considerably Below averagewww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  8. 8. Sampling distributionA theoretical frequency distribution ,basedon an infinite no of samplesBased on mathematical formulas and logicwww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  9. 9. Sampling distribution of meanIn normal distribution 68%values lie between+or –1SDand approx 95%lies between +or –2SDie 95%of the values in a normal distribution liebetween +or –1.96SD from the mean.www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  10. 10. Confidence intervalsIt is a range of values that with a specified degreeof probability ,is thought to contain the populationvalue.They contain a lower and an upper limit.Theresearcher asserts with some degree of confidencethat the population parameter lies within thoseboundaries.www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  11. 11. A confidence interval (CI) is an interval estimate of apopulation parameterInstead of estimating theparameter by a single value, an interval likely toinclude the parameter is given.Thus, confidence intervals are used to indicate thereliability of an estimate.How likely the interval is to contain the parameter isdetermined by the confidence level or confidencecoefficient.Increasing the desired confidence level will widenthe confidence interval.www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  12. 12. Were this procedure to be repeated onmultiple samples, the calculatedconfidence interval (which would differfor each sample) would encompass thetrue population parameter 90% of thetime."Note that this need not be repeatedsampling from the same population, justrepeated samplingwww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  13. 13. The confidence interval representsvalues for the population parameter forwhich the difference between theparameter and the observed estimate isnot statistically significant at the 10%level―www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  14. 14. If the true value of the parameter liesoutside the 90% confidence interval once ithas been calculated, then an event hasoccurred which had a probability of 10% (orless) of happening by chancewww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  15. 15. Testing hypothesisThe null hypothesis is subjected to statisticalanalysisStepsState the research hypothesisState the null hypothesis to be testedChoose the appropriate statistical test for the dataDecide on the level of significanceDecide the test –one tailed or two tailed test to beused.Calculate the test statistics using the research dataCompare the value to the critical value to that testReject or fail to reject null hypothesisDetermine support or lack of support for the researchhypothesis.www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  16. 16. Level of significanceProbability of rejecting a null hypothesis when itis true ,and it should not be rejected(alpha)Most common level of significance.. .05The rresearcher Is willing to risk being wrong5%of the time or 5 times out of 100,whenrejecting the null hypothesisMore accurate .01or even at .001Risk 1%www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  17. 17. Degree of freedomConcerns the no of values that arefree to vary. df and a no.www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  18. 18. Null hypothesis ---false ---reject—correct decisionNull hypothesis--- true –accept –correct decisionNull hypotheses--- true--- rejected-----type I errorNull hypothesis-- false –accepted---Type II errrorwww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  19. 19. Type II error –controlled –using alarge samplewww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  20. 20. Type I Error No errorNo error Type II ErrorTrue falseNullrejectedNullnotrejectedActual situation in populationNull hypothesiswww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  21. 21. Choosing statistical test:1. Are you comparing groups or test scores?Are youcorrelating variables2. What is th helevel of measurement of thevariables (nominal,ordinal,interval/ratio)3. How larg eare the groups?4. How many sets or groups are being considered5. Are the scores or observations dependent orindependent?6. How many observations are available o the eachgroup www.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  22. 22. Statistical tests used1. T tests2. analysis of variance3. chi-squarewww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in
  23. 23. Thank youwww.drjayeshpatidar.blogspot.in

×