Conversations are out there
Some are among audiences, some within communities, a few
across a movement. You have to find them, join them & try to
organize their chaos.
4-Dimensions of social advocacy
Get Message Out
with Each Other &
How to build your audience
• Connect – Follow people you want following you
• If you tweet about their interests 15-30% will follow you back.
• Engage – Talk to people you want following you
• Not everyone notices who follows them, but everyone notices
who mentions them. Ask questions, share info & converse.
• Recommend – RT/#FF followers you want
• Recommend people you want following you to your followers.
• Repeat – Repeat steps 2 & 3 after they follow you back.
• Remember: It is about exchanging VALUE
Follow, Engage, Recommend, Repeat
Finding People to Follow
Serendipity – People you follow mention and RT others
Research – Keyword & hashtag searches
Directories – Special Twitter search tools
Drilling Down – Into followers, followed & lists of other
How to build your audience?
How to build your community?
• When you find people with shared interests, engage
them in conversations.
• Draw many people into the conversation.
• Give them value.
• Encourage them to share their insights, links, etc.
• Link your conversation with a common hashtag
• It’s just like doing it offline…
You can’t create a viral movement
BUT YOU CAN PLAN FOR THE RIDE
Alan Rosenblatt, Ph.D.
Partner, Turner Strategies
Me on Twitter
My Weekly Blogs