What do you mean, “positioning”?
Drayton Bird 2014
“There is very little difference between one man and another; but
what little there is, is very important.”
William James – writer and philosopher,
quoting a carpenter
Positioning is your ‘personality’
• How do you do what you do?
• How do you tell people?
• Do all you can to reinforce your positioning and brand
• You can only succeed if you act and communicate in a
way that fits them.
What your prospect is thinking
• Do I like the firm and its people?
• Do I like the way they do things?
• What is different or better about them?
• “ What do this firm and its products say about me”
Plus two more
• Do they like me?
• Do I like them?
Product and positioning
• A better product and positioning will do well despite a
• You cannot divorce your positioning from your product
any more than you can be divorced from your
That mix of qualities in what you sell which appeals most
to your ideal customer is the right positioning.
How to find the right position
• Start with the facts.
• How do people see you?
• Not how you think they do
• Compare to your competition
• Where do you want to be and can reach - based on what
customers and competitors offer.
• Do everything to fulfil that positioning.
• Then measure your progress with research