1Rise of America as a world power
KTHS, Modern World History
2013-14 , Mr. Peal
1. America became the world’s leader in
________________ in the late 1800s.
2. America acquired an __________. It
took control of land in other places.
3. As an empire, America took part in
world events, including __________.
2Rise of America as a world power
1. America became
a world leader in
3Rise of America as a world power
STEEL: In 1890, the US became
the world’s largest steel maker,
thanks to ___________.
company controlled the
production and sale of oil in the
________’s Model T enabled
millions of working people to buy
RAILROADS : American
railroads connected the goods
and people of all _________
(North, South, and West).
Production of steel, 1875-1900
4Rise of America as a world power
The US had great influence
on other countries:
came from other countries
to work in American
factories, farms, and
Factory owners needed
__________ from other
Workers bought and sold
goods from around the
world. 5Rise of America as a world power
6Rise of America as a world power
2. America built an
7Rise of America as a world power
An empire is a country
that controls land in
different parts of the
1. To get _________________. It
needed coal for its machines
and ports for its ships.
2. To increase
________________. It wanted
to be as strong as other
empires, such as Britain
(England) and Germany. At this
time, countries created large
ships) to protect trade and
show their strength.
8Rise of America as a world power
had a mission
to “civilize” and
were better than
9Rise of America as a world power
Who does the teacher represent? Who are his students?
What is his attitude toward the students?
A. THE WEST
1. America acquired land in the
NW (Oregon) from
2. America then acquired land in
the Far West and Southwest
from ______________by war.
3. America conquered the Great
________________ by taking
the land from Native Americans
by force, destroying herds of
buffalos, and building
10Rise of America as a world power
Railroads connected the new states
of the West with the powerful
industrial cities of the East.
1. In 1867, America bought Alaska from
____________. The US government wanted to
expand American power in the Pacific Ocean.
2. Alaska had natural resources such as
f_________ and f_______________.
3. In the 1890s, ______________ was discovered in
Alaska and the territory became very valuable.
4. Alaska became the 49th state in 1959.
11Rise of America as a world power
1. The island of Hawaii was an independent
country with a ___________________
(king & queen).
2. Benefits for America:
o Place for ships to load up with
____________ when crossing the Pacific
o Place to grow_______________ cane.
3. American sugar planters helped force the
Queen of Hawaii to sign a
________________with US giving it
control of Hawaii.
4. Hawaii became the 50th state in 1959.
12Rise of America as a world power
D. Many small islands in the Pacific Ocean
(Midway, Wake, Samoa, Guam, Philippines)
1. These islands gave America excellent
_________________ for their ships.
2. Provided a source of ________________ (bird dung,
used as fertilizer for farmers).
3. Guam and the Philippines were taken from Spain after
America’s victory in the ________________-
________________ War in 1898. (More about this
13Rise of America as a world power
E. Puerto Rico
1. Puerto Rico was a ______________
colony since the early 1500s.
2. ________________ labor was
introduced in 1513. Sugar cane was
grown on the island.
3. Americans wanted to create a base
for America’s __________________in
4. After America defeated Spain in the
Spanish-American War, Spain gave
America Puerto Rico. It was now an
14Rise of America as a world power
Why American wanted a ___________ in
o Shorten trip between East and West coast, which
was good for business
o Make it easy to move navy ships between territories
in the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean
Panama was part of Colombia until US
supported a rebellion in 1903 that brought a
new government to power and gave US
control of the ______________________
The Panama Canal was built between 1904
and 1914; 25,000 workers
__________________ while building it
(disease, accident, overwork)Rise of America as a world power 15
3. America took
part in world
16Rise of America as a world power
a. Spanish-American War b. World War 1
1. Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines were
2. _____________ was a valuable crop in Cuba. In
the late 1800s American businesses owned
sugar cane plantations in Cuba, which was
owned by Spain.
3. In the 1890s Americans supported Cubans in
their struggle for ____________________from
Spain. (See the cartoon on the next slide.)
4. President McKinley sent the battleship
____________ to Cuba to show Spain that
America would support and defend the Cuban
17Rise of America as a world power
Some Americans in the late 1800s depicted the Spanish empire as cruel and
unjust, like the British Empire was seen by Americans in the late 1700s. Others
think this view was an excuse for the US to take over Spanish colonies.
18Rise of America as a world power
1. Without evidence, America ________________the
explosion on Spain and declared war.
2. American ships destroyed Spain’s _____________
(armed ships) off the coast of Cuba.
3. Theodore __________________ led soldiers against the
Spanish in Cuba, winning a key victory at San Juan Hill.
4. Around the world, America’s navy, headed by Admiral
Dewey, destroyed Spain’s navy in the
______________________and took over the colony.
5. America defeated the 500-year-old Spanish Empire in
a few months in 1898. America was now one of the
world’s strongest _________________________.
20Rise of America as a world power
In the peace treaty of 1898, America took over Spain’s
colonies of Guam, Philippines, and Puerto Rico. Cuba did NOT
become a colony.
22Rise of America as a world power
America after the Spanish-American War
23Rise of America as a world power
Rise of America as a world power 24
1.Who does the large gentleman
2.What do the first five pictures
3.How many states were in the US
at the start of the Civil War?
4.What colonies were part of the US
after the Spanish-American War?
5.Whose hands are outstretched on
6.Why are they outstretched?
World War 1 had several causes:
1. The powerful nations of Europe were proud. This was called
2. England, Germany, and France wanted to expand their
___________________ in Africa and Asia (imperialism). their
empires grew, they also expanded their ______________ and
Alliances. Empires made agreements with other
empires to defend each other if war ever broke out. There
were two alliances (look at the map on the next slide)
1. Central Powers: Germany and Austria in the center of Europe
2. Triple Entente (also called the Allied Powers): Britain, France,
and Russia surrounding Germany and Austria
War broke out I 1914 over a small conflict between
Austria and Serbia. Quickly, the alliances were fighting
25Rise of America as a world power
1. At first, America was ___________________. It
didn’t fight. America sold food, clothing, and
weapons to both sides.
2. Then, in 1915 a German submarine sunk a
British ship, the ___________________,
believing it had supplies for Britain. Many
Americans were aboard. Germany apologized,
so America didn’t go to war. But Americans now
sided with Britain.
3. In early 1917 Germans began to use unlimited
_____________warfare. Many American ships
were sunk by German submarines to keep
them from trading with Germany’s enemy,
4. Many Americans and President
________________were now furious. 27Rise of America as a world power
The US fought on the side of the
(Britain, France, and Russia)
AGAINST Germany and Austria
Most fighting occurred in two
1. The _____________Front in
2. The _____________Front in
American troops went to the
The US helped France and
England defeat the
28Rise of America as a world power
Soldiers. America sent 10,000
soldiers a day by the summer of
1918. More than one
soldiers fought on the Western
Front in France.
Supplies. America also supplied
____________ and guns.
Money. America lent the money
necessary to defeat the Germans.
________________ asked for an
ase fire) on November 11, 1918,
ending the war.
29Rise of America as a world power
After the war ended, America
…the country least _________________
…the ______________________ country
in the world, All the countries of Europe
owed money to America.
A world leader in industry and popular
30Rise of America as a world power