Cheap, good, hackable tools from China: AVR component tester
Cheap, good, hackable tools
AVR component tester
My first junk box...
All youtube videos have handy junk box which I
don’t have! How can I get one?
junk ⇒ desoldering iron, flux pen, solder wick
⇒ junk box ⇒ component tester ⇒ parts bin
junk ⇒ parts without web search!
● What is that transistor-like component from
my junk box?
○ NPN? PNP? N or P channel MOSFET?
● Markus Frejek wanted to do it with AVR
● Karl-Heinz Kübbeler and others extended it
Transistor tester ebay search
Which one to buy?! $15-30
Partial features list
● ATmega8, 168, 328, 644, 1284, 1280 or 2560
● 2*16, 4*16 LCD or 128*64 pixels ST7565,
ST7920, ST7108, KS0108 or a SSD1306
● Automatic detection of NPN and PNP
bipolar transistors, N- and P-Channel
MOSFETs, JFETs, diodes, double diodes,N-
and P-IGBTs, Thyristors and Triacs.
● resistor and capacitors measurements
● 36 features in current version!
But, isn’t this DIY project?
It can be DIY. But you can also buy kits if you
don’t want to make own pcb or source parts!
$ vi Makefile && make flash
ArduinoISP on Arduino Uno would work as well
Hints for all versions
● Connect all three inputs together and power on to start
self-test (confirm in 1 second)
○ this will display software version in the end
● Hold test button for 3 seconds on power-on to enter
menu with additional options
○ transistor TP1:3
○ frequency PD4/LCD-RS pin, needs 270Ω hardware
mod or circuit from documentation
○ f-Generator 1Hz-2MHz ; TP1 GND ; TP2 signal 5V
/ 680Ω ; TP3 680Ω GND
○ 10-bit PWM TP2
○ rotary encoder, Selftest, Switch off
Hack your tools!
it’s nice to have source code of code
which runs on your tools
AVR component tester is not only example of
hackable cheap tools from China!