Music of Malaysia is the general
term for music that has been made up
from various genres in Malaysia.
The music is based on percussion
instruments and the most
important one is
the gendang (drum).
There are at least 14 types of
Mostly came from Kelantan-
Pattani region with influences from
India, China, Thailand and
• Music is traditionally used for
storytelling, celebrating life-
cycle events, and times like
• Zapin is also popular in Java
• Zapin is made up from a
combination of choreography and
unique musical chants.
• Zapin is an exclusive Johor
experience or cultural heritage.
ZAL• The ghazal is a poetic
form consisting of
rhyming couplets and
a refrain, and each
phrase shares the same
• The ghazal spread
into South Asia in the
• The ghazal in Malaysia
is the most popular
traditional music in
• Dikir Barat is a musical form,
native to the Malay Peninsula, that
involves singing in group.
• It is erformed either with percussion
instrumental accompaniment or with
no instruments at all.
• The Malaysian government actively
promotes Dikir Barat as Malaysian
A• Boria was first brought to
Penang in 1845 by the Muslim
soldiers of the 21st Madras
• A typical Boria troupe consists of
a leader, a chorus, comedians and
• The song-dance group
commonly performs dances such
as rumbas, Cha-cha-cha or
POP• Genre of popular music which
originated in its modern form in
the 1950s in United States,
deriving from rock and roll.
• It often borrows elements from
including urban, dance, rock,
Latin and country.
• Famous pop artists include
Yuna, Stacy, and Zee Avi.
ROCK Malaysian Rock
reached its peak in the
80s and early 90s. It has
evolved from the mid 90s
to late 00s.
and/or with a fusion
of the blues.
Famous bands in
POP SHUVIT, and
ONE BUCK SHOT.
Ballads were originally "dancing
The form was often used
by poets and composers from the
18th century onwards to produce
lyrical ballads in the United States.
In Malaysia nowadays, they are
often used as love songs, particularly
pop or rock power ballads.
HIP HOPHip hop is a music subculture found
in the South Bronx
and Harlem in New York City which
was popular with African-American
and Latino youth during the 1970s.
They represent the different
manifestations of :
-Rap music and Beatboxing (oral)
-Turntablism or "DJing" (aural)
-Graffiti art (visual).
Hip Hop is trendy in Malaysia.
Altimet, Joe Flizow, and Sona One
are a few Malaysian Hip Hop artists.
• Chang, J.. DJ Kool Herc (2005). Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop
• HERITAGE: Perfection of the zapin - Sunday Life & Times - New Straits
• Malaysian Ministry of Information Portal. "National Dikir Barat Competition To Be
Expanded Next Year", 2006. Retrieved on 2009-01-30.
• Patricia Ann Matusky, Sooi Beng Tan (ed.). The Music of Malaysia: The Classical,
Folk, and Syncretic Traditions. Ashgate Publishing Limited.