6 Core Hypnotic Therapeutic Techniques
Main Message Examples of How These Messages May Be Conveyed
1 Help is available • I have seen this type of problem before and, with
just a little help, the person recovered nicely.
• People suffer most when they suffer in isolation.
But this time, you do not have to face the
• Call me anytime you have trouble.
2 Change is imminent • Are you ready for this change?
• Once we do _____ , you will no longer have
problems with ________ .
• Before we change anything in therapy, we
should determine if any of the negative
behaviors serve a positive function.
• I do not think the symptoms will disappear
entirely yet, but you should carefully observe
any decrease that occurs because it will be
important for me to know about.
3 The resources you need
are inside you
• Tell me about a time, in the past, when you were
not bothered by the problem.
• After a lifetime of learning, there are going to be
some valuable insights, gained from similar
situations, which apply to this problem.
• Have you asked your wise inner guide?
4 Change can be
• You do not need to consciously remember our
discussions in therapy.
• Your progress will go more smoothly if you
allow it to happen without trying to force it.
5 Progress is evident • I am sorry that the therapy has not removed all
• You are talking and acting different (during
therapy). Can you feel it?
6 Reality has changed • After you learn how to overcome ________ ,
that problem will never again be able to get the
same hold on you.
• Based on the progress we've seen, I believe that
you no longer have the disorder.
Reference: Short, D. (2013). “Everyday hypnotic techniques.” Psychotherapy Networker
Social Work Career Development