A brand is a person’s perceptions of their
experiences with a product or service.
Your personal brand should represent the
value you are able to consistently deliver to
those whom you are serving.
- Glenn Llopis
IF I HAD A NICKEL FOR
EVERY TIME I GOT
I WANT A PUPPY.
Performance = Your day-
to-day work and results
Image = What other people
think of you and your work
Exposure = Who knows
who you are and what you
- Harvey Coleman “Empowering Yourself, The
Organizational Game Revealed” Then Now
Can you say that you
know what you are doing
and you can answer
questions about it?
Do you feel like others
trust you with what you
say you do?
Do others come to you
instinctively when they
need something related
to your field?
More importantly, do you feel
that management knows
what you do, is excited about
what you do and would
come to you if they needed
What are you known for? What do you want
people to think when they think of you?
Write a brand statement for yourself.
Image & Performance
To (target audience), (your name) is the (blank)
provider/service of (blank) delivered through (blank).
To the dairy industry, Don Schindler is a thought leader
for creative integrated marketing and communications
solutions delivered by digital communications and
@donschindler is a creative marketing professional who
teaches you how to use social media and digital
I can give your communication staff the skills to tell a
story to your audience that will get them to act the way
you want. Even if you think all your staff knows how to do
is send out a press release.
Guarantee to work. If not, you'll get your money back.
Did I mention that my training is free?
With every interaction (whether a question or
conversation), I promise to give you the best possible
return for your time taken with me.
In other words, I want your TRUST.
You can trust me to be honest, to have your best
interest in mind, to give you a reason, to focus on you
and what you are trying to accomplish, etc…
How long does it take to earn trust?
Trust is earned by consistent performance. This doesn’t
mean it’s only 10% of your time. It’s 100% of your time
and it can easily be lost or broken.
• My home on the web
• Can be done for free
• Search engines love blogs
• Easy to do and gives you personality
• Inbound links
• No one can change the rules on your
• It’s the easiest to maintain
• More connections gives you a
• Your online resume and portfolio
• Public recommendations
• Groups to help networking
• Connected to Twitter and
Facebook with a third party
• Connections are everything – connect with
everyone you meet in business.
• Correct people’s profiles and summaries for
• Groups can be strong but difficult to maintain.
• Tag others in updates to get their attention.
• Understand there is more reading/stalking then
• Use LinkedIn Pulse and share relevant content to
• 1.25 billion people
• Professional and personal life blend the most
• Share, Comment, Like, Friend
• Positive messages are shared more
• The use of lists is a must to control the algorithm
• Your digital diary
• Try and use graphics or videos with links to drive
back to website.
• Funny stuff drives a lot of engagement along with
• Worry more about engagement and not numbers
(straight from Facebook).
• Pay for play on Facebook.
• Use employee advocates to engage in company
• Fastest way to meet people you don’t know
• News and rumors travel fast
• Lots of noise and marketing garbage
• Use lists to control
• Follow advocates and monitor detractors
• Able to track conversations and trends
RT = Retweet
MT = Modified Tweet – if you altered the tweet, shortened, etc. it’s
common courtesy to use MT
TY, THX or TKS = Thank you
DM = Direct Message use d @username You use this to talk
directly to someone similar to email. ONLY the receiver will see this
@agnesk = only @agnesk will see this tweet OR people who follow
both you and the tweet sender
.@agnesk = everyone who follows you sees this tweet
Hey @agnesk = everyone who follows you sees this tweet
#FF = Follow Friday
• Use common hashtags (creating your own is hard)
• Use tools like ManageFlitter, Tweepi, or TweetAdder to add people
• Use favorites to get people to follow
• Do NOT auto-reply
• Tweets with links in the middle
• Use third party apps to control like Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, Tweetcaster.
• Use search to answer questions
• Visual search (much better than traditional)
• Recipes, clothes, decorations, crafts, infographics, and more…
• Heavy use by women
• 70 million users and growing
• Can drive extreme traffic to websites
• Still a new network