What are we learning today?
• Why Blog?
• Why Blogs Fail to Produce Results?
• Blog Topics
• 13 Step System for blogging
• Tips and Tricks
• You want to help people find the
best information on farming
• You have something to say about
how farming happens on your
• You want to understand and gain
knowledge from others not
connected to your farm life.
• You want to connect people to
• You want two-way communication
• You believe you are an expert at…
• Google and the other search
engines start indexing your
photos, videos and content.
• People start responding to
what you writing.
• People start trusting what you
• People call you an expert.
• Search engines start putting
your farming information at the
top of their search pages for
• Suddenly you are internet
What else happens when you blog?
• You are not consistent.
• You are off your brand – you are NOT
courteous, polite, hardworking.
• You are talking to you only about you.
• You are not saying anything
interesting, important and have no
• You aren’t writing using stories.
• You aren’t responding to comments or
Why blogs fail?
• Listen to social media.
• Check out Google
keywords and trends.
• What are people
emailing you about?
• What do you want to be
What do you write about?
13 steps to Blogging
1. Personal Brand
• Define yourself and what you are trying to
accomplish with a blog.
2. Write, write, write
• Write out your first three or four blog posts in
whatever system you prefer.
Are you worried about Word Count?
• Personally, I think getting content up is more
important than make sure it hits a count. You want
a number? Go for 500 or 300 or 700 or just make
sure you get the point across as quickly as
possible and tell a good story.
3. Add visuals
• Find pictures / video content to associate with your
4. Select Your Domain
• Think long and hard about your
domain name (keywords in the
URL are important).
• Having “dairy” or “farm” in the
URL can help get you found.
5. Select Your Technology
• Select a system that is something you desire for
• Not tech savvy at all - try tumblr.
• Tech savvy and want more control - blogger or
wix.com or squarespace.com – wordpress.com.
• A lot of control – wordpress.org
6. CALL TO ACTION
• What do you want the audience to do? Yes, read
your post is why they are here – what’s their next
step? Get their email address? Connect to you via
social media? Sign a petition? Spread the word?
• If you are designer, then
you can do this yourself.
• If not, then you need to
get someone that is (a
• Or just a use a template
(think responsive design
8. Move your content into the blog
• Take your time, work out the bugs, you can have a
deadline but don’t force it out.
9. Add your other content
• You need an About page and your CALL TO ACTION
page. Set those up. Add your social media profile links.
Add your fun widgets. Don’t distract people too much.
10. Make and schedule your editorial calendar
• Stay consistent.
11. Link your social media / email
• Linking your social media profiles, Google profile
and your email to your blog helps drive traffic.
12. Set up your Analytics
• Get Google Analytics (free) set up on your website
to insure you understand what your traffic is doing.
13. Use your network to drive traffic
• After posting, make sure you are posting your links
to all your social media content.
• Help others
• Talk about others
• Link to others
• Mention others and link
• Read other blogs and
comment on them.
• Use Google’s
Autocomplete to work
Tips and Tricks
Search + Social = TOP RESULTS
Remember: Great Content
drives both Social and Search.
If you want people to see your
stuff, you have to use both and
a blog can do that for you.
Need a boost?
Contact me at