"It's about cutting waste; it's about driving improvement
and accountability in public services; and it's about
boosting the economy by enabling entrepreneurs to use
public data to create new applications.!
"Above all, it is about a shift of power from the state and a
fundamental trust in the ability of people to work together
to transform our society.”!
! ! ! ! ! ! !Francis Maude, UK Cabinet Ofﬁce Minister!
Making city government
easy to access and easy understand
measuring impact and
improving access to
•! data > dashboards
•! new performance
•! empower choice of public
•! tooling up citizens to hold
government to account directly
“a leap forward in the quality of life in
communities will occur more frequently
when government opens the door for
catalytic social progress spearheaded by
the many...who make changes daily in their
communities.# Together these acts can
play a part in turning clients of the state
into active, participating and productive
Stephen Goldsmith, The Power of Social Innovation!
the power of
“Communities are the human, emotional, and
cultural nodes of the complex system of
systems that comprise a city. They are where
the city’s systems – transportation,
commerce, food, energy, safety, education,
health care – are organically fused. They are
where integrated novelty is created every day
out of radical complexity. They are where
safety, prosperity, innovation, and social
cohesion can arise out of diversity of cultures
and of use.”!
Informed and Interconnected: !
A Manifesto for Smarter Cities!
Rosabeth Moss and Kanter Stanley Litow !
building social capital!
- build conﬁdence and trust!
- bridge building role – online and ofﬂine mutually reinforcing!
- lever social value/roi over the medium to long term!
- invest in social innovation to save of medium to long-term!
hyper-active local communities"
- explosion of web based tools to enable citizens to report issues"
- less about co-production and more effective customer services and
more efﬁcient reporting for government itself to resolve!
collective action for civic outcomes!
“The web has dramatically reduced the cost of collective action” – Clay Shirky!
- !Ushahidi (developed in Kenya) now being applied in Western context to organise
!community response to snowmageddon, clearing bus stops of snow!
- !Open street map rapid response to emergency in Haiti!
a ‘poke’ to action!
- !people ‘just do it’ with or without government!
- !peer pressure for social good!
- !from meetup to ‘I’m here now come meet!’!
- !transparency increasing keep up with the joneses effect, with everyone
!watching each other. Beginning to be harnessed to positive effect.!
“Cities have the
capability of providing
something for everybody,
only because, and only
when, they are created by
Accessibility as key to widen out now!
Access to public services 2.0 uneven
based on a variety of factors!
accesscity: the prototype!
SocialCity: enabling social mixing
support platforms for collaboration and change!
- !the importance of social space for innovators inside and outside of
!government to work together!
- !learning behaviours and new forms of leadership!
- !creating a safe space to share, learn and collaborate!