gRPC: Beyond REST
history repeats itself inﬁnitely
• JVM developer since 1998
• Cofounder @ CirculoSiete
• Staff @ JVM Mexico City
• Lupine. Powered Courier by XEROX (1981)
• Bruce Jay Nelson coined the term ‘RPC’
• SUN’s RPC (ONC RPC) ~NFS
• CORBA (1991)
• Stands for ‘gRPC Remote Procedure Call’
• Open source project from Google hosted by the Cloud Native Computing
• High Performance, general purpose standard base, RPC framework.
• Open sourced of ‘Stubby RPC’ at Google
• We already have REST|GraphQL, why?
• Maybe performance?
• Contract ﬁrst approach
• Multi platform
• Protocol buffers are a ﬂexible, efﬁcient, automated
mechanism for serializing structured data, smaller, faster,
and simpler than XML or JSON.
• You can update your data structure without breaking
• Language/platform agnostic.
• You have to write a deﬁnition in a text ﬁle ‘.proto’.
• A compiler is needed to generate the desired source code.