Introduction – David Mitnick Founder of DomainSkate
New domain space is important for businesses and entrepreneurs.
Protecting your revenue and reputation online. Not just for the
Before, there were 22 top level domains – the oldies but goodies… biggest expansion of the Internet, ever.
If that did not hit home, largest expansion of the internet, ever.
Ability to identify clearly via your domain or url to your customers or audience.
Is a central repository for the information related to the rights of trademark owners to be stored, authenticated and distributed.
When a customer attempts to register a new domain and the domain matches up with a trademark in the TMCH, the customer receives a warning that it may be considered cybersquatting.
Gives trademarks that are registered right to register name(s) before go on sale to public – can get domains that are helpful to your business, important to your brand.
When a trademark holder files a complaint, the registrar immediately freezes the domain. The “registrant” has 14 days to submit a response. If there is no reply the domain name is suspended. The domain name will not be deleted or transferred to the trademark owner - points to a mandatory URS placeholder page
Quick and dirty way to get rid of a domain
Though many journalists and politicians present the new internet (expanded) as the Internet going to hell in a handbasket – it’s not.
Yes, it’s going to take more time and resources to police and keep-up, but it does not have to be drag on you or your business.
PLAY A LITTLE OFFENSE: If your small business has developed a valuable brand name, make sure you look at the list of new registries, or consult with someone who will do it for you. If your business relates to a niche area that might benefit from a domain in a new registry, it might be worth registering a few to see if those registries pan out and become “go-to” places in the future. Generic terms might lead to traffic, properly used in new registries.
DomainSkate NYEBN Presentation 5-14-14
We protect online brand names
and domains for small and
“Defender of the Domain”
Tweet us: @DomainSkate
1. New Domains
2. Challenges and opportunities for
3. How to protect your brand online
4. Quick demo of DomainSkate.com – how
we work (COO Howard Greenstein)
QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP
• How many of you work at a business you
• Is your primary “storefront” or presence
• Do you have a registered TM for your
• Have you ever thought about online brand
protection? (probably not)
• What the heck is a new “domain” or
“registry and why should I care?
Your New Business Name In a New
New Domains Will Come in
• Everything to the right of the Dot.
• “The launch of the .nyc domain is one of
the most anticipated arrivals for the city
and the Internet at large. There is no
shortage of New Yorkers ready to claim
their exclusive .nyc identities online, and
this is their chance to reserve their piece
of this city’s valuable digital real estate.”
Mayor Bill de Blasio (May 5, 2014)
The right of the .DOT – it’s not for
• Application Fee is $185,000 + $2M (liquid)
to support registry. Super Expensive!
• Have technical ability to run registry
• The dawn of “Donuts”:
- 307 new domain apps
- Raised over $200M
Who is Allowing/Doing This?
• The International Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers (ICANN)
• ICANN is charged with administering domain
names/numbers online via “multi-stakeholder
New gTLD Program Status:
• 300 Added Online
• 177 Applications Withdrawn
• 4 Rejected (Amazon, Patagonia included)
• 672 applications still waiting
Not all good news – more space
= more problems… not just
Monitoring Your Name/Brand Is
About Protecting Your Business,
Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS)
• URS deals with CLEAR (i.e. identical)
cases of infringement.
– Immediate suspension of the domain
– www.facebook.pw first URS case
UDRP – Domain Arbitration
• Domain Name Arbitration mechanism
– Not new, has been around since 1999
– Thousands of UDRPs have been
• Effective, focused way to get an infringing
domain name, w/out litigation (no
– Example: googleglass.com; pepsisoda.com;
Takeaways For Entrepreneurs:
• You can protect our business/revenue without
busting your budget and spending thousands of
$$$. You don’t need a lawyer for this.
• For start-ups and small businesses looking
for good domain names, new choices for
domains are a tremendous opportunities:
– new connections
– new markets
– new customers.
Play a Little Defense!
Focus: “Search” is the key!
• No way to know how search algorithms
may be affected by the onslaught of new
• However, search WILL evolve, and may
become more niche - search engines w/in
registries could be an important way to
search in future. .NYC or .CLUB, future of
• We monitor, lock down, and recover your
brand name, trademark or domain name
• Think of us as a kind of “life lock” for
Dashboard and Monitoring
Look for variations and
• Actively Search Your
Business Name, URL and
• Alert you when there is a
• Connection to submit to
and to create Arbitration
Documents (Links during
Beta – Integration Soon)
• From .Com to
.Photo or .Sexy,
we’ve got your
The D Team!
• David Mitnick – Founder, IP lawyer for 10
years, specialist in Internet Law
• Howard Greenstein – COO – Microsoft,
Startups, Writer and Professor
• Team includes startup veterans from
Microsoft, SocialText, multiple startups, and
programmer wrote the book on HTML and