2.4 Spay and Neuter on a Budget - Dr Jeffrey Young
Spay and Neuter on a budgetSpay and Neuter on a budgetSpay and Neuter on a budgetSpay and Neuter on a budget
Dr Jeffrey Young graduated from Colorado State University School of VeterinaryDr Jeffrey Young graduated from Colorado State University School of Veterinary
Medicine in 1989. He established Planned Pethood Plus, Inc (PPP) in 1990. PPP isMedicine in 1989. He established Planned Pethood Plus, Inc (PPP) in 1990. PPP is
best know for its low-cost mobile neutering services, Native American Reservationbest know for its low-cost mobile neutering services, Native American Reservation
work, and training of veterinarians from around the world in more efficient surgicalwork, and training of veterinarians from around the world in more efficient surgical
techniques. Dr. Young has served on numerous Humane Society boards and hastechniques. Dr. Young has served on numerous Humane Society boards and has
been an advisor from mobile surgical units all across America. He has also foundedbeen an advisor from mobile surgical units all across America. He has also founded
his own non-profit group called Planned Pethood International. Planned Pethoodhis own non-profit group called Planned Pethood International. Planned Pethood
International was established toInternational was established to help fundhelp fund spay/neuter work and veterinary trainingspay/neuter work and veterinary training
from it’s new state of the art veterinary hospitals in Bratislava, Slovakia and Merida,from it’s new state of the art veterinary hospitals in Bratislava, Slovakia and Merida,
Mexico. Dr. Young believes his humane ethics come from being an Animal ControlMexico. Dr. Young believes his humane ethics come from being an Animal Control
Officer during his veterinary college training. He is most proud of having personallyOfficer during his veterinary college training. He is most proud of having personally
sterilized over 165,000 animals in the last 20 years, and he is an outspoken proponentsterilized over 165,000 animals in the last 20 years, and he is an outspoken proponent
of early age neutering for companion animal population control. Dr. Young is drivenof early age neutering for companion animal population control. Dr. Young is driven
by a simple underlying mission “to significantly reduce companion animalby a simple underlying mission “to significantly reduce companion animal
overpopulation throughout the world.”overpopulation throughout the world.”
““Think Globally Act Locally “Think Globally Act Locally “
No euthanasia ofNo euthanasia of
healthy, adoptablehealthy, adoptable
Dogs and Cats will beDogs and Cats will be
valued as truevalued as true
companion animals.companion animals.
Paradigm shift in social attitudes.
The Only Real Solution toThe Only Real Solution to
Companion AnimalCompanion Animal
Spay/neuter all surplus andSpay/neuter all surplus and
non-breed standard animals.non-breed standard animals.
All adoptable animalsAll adoptable animals must
be neutered prior tobe neutered prior to
Reproduce only to enhanceReproduce only to enhance
the breed, allow only the bestthe breed, allow only the best
of breed to reproduce, homesof breed to reproduce, homes
secured in advance.secured in advance.
Dogs VS Cats
Economics 101: Supply vs. DemandEconomics 101: Supply vs. Demand
Human Education and AnimalHuman Education and Animal
Animal ControlAnimal Control
Government AgenciesGovernment Agencies
Veterinary ProfessionVeterinary Profession
Humane OrganizationsHumane Organizations
Supply vs Demand
Lower the Standard
The Cold Harsh FactsThe Cold Harsh Facts
Between 30 – 60 % of adopting ownersBetween 30 – 60 % of adopting owners Do NotDo Not abide by spay/neuterabide by spay/neuter
Humane Societies provide 25-30 % of companion animals to households eachHumane Societies provide 25-30 % of companion animals to households each
Dogs are 15 X and Cats 45 X more prolific than Humans.Dogs are 15 X and Cats 45 X more prolific than Humans.
There is around 80 million dogs and 86 million cats and countless millionsThere is around 80 million dogs and 86 million cats and countless millions
feral/stray cats in America.feral/stray cats in America.
85 + % of cats and 70 + % of dogs in households today have been neutered,85 + % of cats and 70 + % of dogs in households today have been neutered,
but about 20 % produce atbut about 20 % produce at leastleast one litter prior to being sterilized.one litter prior to being sterilized.
Number “1”cause of Death for companion animals remainsNumber “1”cause of Death for companion animals remains EuthanasiaEuthanasia..
Cause of death for feral/stray animals is far worse!Cause of death for feral/stray animals is far worse!
HBC, disease, poisoning, predation and starvation.HBC, disease, poisoning, predation and starvation.
Humane OrganizationsHumane Organizations
Must be the LeadersMust be the Leaders
Warehousing companion animals will never solve overpopulation.Warehousing companion animals will never solve overpopulation.
Must have active educational campaigns.Must have active educational campaigns.
Must not except euthanasia as the cornerstone of population control.Must not except euthanasia as the cornerstone of population control.
Must confront and educate the veterinary profession.Must confront and educate the veterinary profession.
Must invest in behavioral modification and counseling.Must invest in behavioral modification and counseling.
Must promote and advocate for prepubertal neutering.Must promote and advocate for prepubertal neutering.
Must have a successful spay/neuter program.Must have a successful spay/neuter program.
Must spay/neuter all companion animals prior to adoption.Must spay/neuter all companion animals prior to adoption.
Must have an active feral/stray cat program.Must have an active feral/stray cat program.
Our feline friends average 2.1 litters/year and 4.5 kittens per litter 70% rule does notOur feline friends average 2.1 litters/year and 4.5 kittens per litter 70% rule does not
Creating a Neutering Brigade, WhileCreating a Neutering Brigade, While
Meeting Humane ObligationsMeeting Humane Obligations
““Regional Captains” everyRegional Captains” every
area has “animal people”area has “animal people”
find them, use them,find them, use them,
empower them.empower them.
Can organize events.Can organize events.
Can approach local contacts.Can approach local contacts.
Can pinpoint problem areas.Can pinpoint problem areas.
Can provide an educational network.Can provide an educational network.
Can help with fundraising.Can help with fundraising.
Can be a political force.Can be a political force.
Can work with local veterinarians.Can work with local veterinarians.
Minimizing Overhead WhileMinimizing Overhead While
Maximizing Long Term GoalsMaximizing Long Term Goals
Money isMoney is
limited solimited so
spend yourspend your
$$ Wisely.$$ Wisely.
How many animals can you warehouse per year?How many animals can you warehouse per year?
How many animals can you spay/neuter per year?How many animals can you spay/neuter per year?
What impact are you having in your community?What impact are you having in your community?
Limited Funds Require Each HumaneLimited Funds Require Each Humane
Organization to Reflect on How to BestOrganization to Reflect on How to Best
Spend Their Money,Spend Their Money, toto Achieve TheirAchieve Their
Desired GoalsDesired Goals
• Behavioral modification and counseling provided.Behavioral modification and counseling provided.
• Adoption Facility- foster homes.Adoption Facility- foster homes.
• Educational programs.Educational programs.
• Legislative Initiatives.Legislative Initiatives.
• Stationary neuter clinic.Stationary neuter clinic.
• Traditional Mobile unit.Traditional Mobile unit.
• Task Force Mobile set-up.Task Force Mobile set-up.
Peter Kiraly The
(Dog Shelter Hungary)
Be Aware !!Be Aware !!
• Money spent on warehousing animals is moneyMoney spent on warehousing animals is money
not going into a spay/neuter program.not going into a spay/neuter program.
• You must decide on your priorities and the lessYou must decide on your priorities and the less
money available to you the more this is true.money available to you the more this is true.
• Warehousing of companion animals doesn’tWarehousing of companion animals doesn’t
reduce over population and is not usually in thereduce over population and is not usually in the
long term interest of the individual animal.long term interest of the individual animal.
THERE ARE THINGS WORSE THAN DEATH!!THERE ARE THINGS WORSE THAN DEATH!!
You Have A Facility: Mobile OrYou Have A Facility: Mobile Or
Were Are Your Every Day Costs.Were Are Your Every Day Costs.
• The VeterinarianThe Veterinarian
• Surgical EquipmentSurgical Equipment
• Suture MaterialSuture Material
• Surgical TablesSurgical Tables
• Sterilization EquipmentSterilization Equipment
• The ExtrasThe Extras
• The Support StaffThe Support Staff
The VeterinarianThe Veterinarian
• Must develop goodMust develop good
surgical techniquesurgical technique
• Not be afraid ofNot be afraid of
• Be involved inBe involved in
• Should believe in theShould believe in the
Good Surgical Technique AllowsGood Surgical Technique Allows
For Early Age Neutering.For Early Age Neutering.
• Is only as good as the person using itIs only as good as the person using it
• Anesthesia is always to effectAnesthesia is always to effect
• Golden Rule of Injectable anesthetics :Golden Rule of Injectable anesthetics :
Once you give it, you can’t take itOnce you give it, you can’t take it
back, but you can always give moreback, but you can always give more
• When in Rome do as the Romans doWhen in Rome do as the Romans do
Surgical EquipmentSurgical Equipment
• High quality vs Economy gradeHigh quality vs Economy grade
• Monitoring equipment:Monitoring equipment:
- does it effect the outcome ?- does it effect the outcome ?
Prices of MonitoringPrices of Monitoring
Equipment Vary From 5 toEquipment Vary From 5 to
5,000 USD5,000 USD
Suture MaterialSuture Material
• Absorbable vs Non-absorbableAbsorbable vs Non-absorbable
• Braided vs Monofilament vs SteelBraided vs Monofilament vs Steel
• CatGut, Vicryl, – cheap, but moreCatGut, Vicryl, – cheap, but more
post-op complicationspost-op complications
• Maxon, Monocryl, Biosyn – good, butMaxon, Monocryl, Biosyn – good, but
more expensivemore expensive
Surgical TablesSurgical Tables
• Stainless steel vs HomemadeStainless steel vs Homemade
• Extra tables are goodExtra tables are good
- one of the limiting factors for large- one of the limiting factors for large
amounts of surgeriesamounts of surgeries
Surgical Tables : 60 To 1800Surgical Tables : 60 To 1800
Sterilization of EquipmentSterilization of Equipment
• Cold vs HotCold vs Hot
• Sanitation vs SterilizationSanitation vs Sterilization
• Keeping things CleanKeeping things Clean
• Preparation of AnimalsPreparation of Animals
• Cold tray sterilization (NolvasanCold tray sterilization (Nolvasan
diacetate in distilled water)diacetate in distilled water)
Sterilization Is AlwaysSterilization Is Always
Little Things Can Help Make YouLittle Things Can Help Make You
More EfficientMore Efficient
• Increase safety toIncrease safety to
• Endotracheal tubes,Endotracheal tubes,
Belly boards, E-Belly boards, E-
collars, Bungee legcollars, Bungee leg
ties, Mayo standsties, Mayo stands
TheThe SupportSupport StaffStaff
• One good technician is worth aOne good technician is worth a
- Another limiting factor for largeAnother limiting factor for large
amounts of surgeriesamounts of surgeries
• 2 support staff per veterinarians is2 support staff per veterinarians is
usually minimumusually minimum
You Must Customize To YourYou Must Customize To Your
• But the basicBut the basic
remains theremains the
• Learn fromLearn from
other peoplesother peoples
Know Your Cost PerKnow Your Cost Per
• A basic principal to remember:A basic principal to remember:
- if you are loosing 1 cent per- if you are loosing 1 cent per
surgery, doing more surgeries doessurgery, doing more surgeries does
not make you more moneynot make you more money
Key PointsKey Points
• Good Surgical TechniqueGood Surgical Technique
• Better Sterilization And SanitationBetter Sterilization And Sanitation
• Less Reactive Suture Material Is BestLess Reactive Suture Material Is Best
• Good Support Staff MandatoryGood Support Staff Mandatory
• Know your cost so you can Maximize yourKnow your cost so you can Maximize your
outcome and have the greatest effectoutcome and have the greatest effect
• When in Rome do as the Romans do , If you areWhen in Rome do as the Romans do , If you are
traveling, you can almost always do a good jobtraveling, you can almost always do a good job
with what is locally availablewith what is locally available
• You are smarter than you think you are, You canYou are smarter than you think you are, You can
do more than you think you cando more than you think you can
Jeff Young D.V.M.Jeff Young D.V.M.
Planned Pethood Plus Inc.Planned Pethood Plus Inc.
4170 Tennyson St.4170 Tennyson St.
Denver, CO 80212Denver, CO 80212