How to Get Started
The Why, What & How to Do
Your First Podcast
WHO am I?
• Award-winning Author of
From Grief to Grace
• TEDx Speaker
• Online Media Consultant
• Podcaster of “What Really
WHY do you want to
do a Podcast?
• Hobby vs. business?
• Reach your market in another
Benefits of Podcasts
• Listen anywhere
• In-depth content
• Longform content they have
Benefits of Podcasts for You
• Intimate connection – your voice
• In-depth, long-form content
• Listen to them anywhere
• New marketing channel
What are your expectations?
• Highlight your skills
• Talk about your expertise
• Reaching your audience more deeply is
good (in-depth content)
• Direct monetization is difficult, so don’t
plan on that right away – unless you
already have a big following.
• Me: use it as a way to showcase my
interviewing skills, build an audience and
hone my skills
What type of podcast do
you want to make?
• Just you talking about your topic
• Read your book
• Specialty (gaming, movies, music
• With others
• Co-host with another
• Interview others
• Inperson vs. remote interviews
Who is your Audience?
• Lots of Podcasts
• Find a niche and stand out!
• Biggest mistake I’ve made.
… do you
What “stuff” do
you need to DO a
What’s the NAME
of your podcast?
• Make it short & simple
• Make it appeal to your audience
• Check other names to make sure
• See if you can get the domain name
Create Podcast Artwork
• Make it graphically
• Square shape
• Large size:(3000 x 3000
• Where to create it:
Google “Podcast Covers”, etc.
What equipment do
• Need to create a recording
• Basic: phone
• Better: external microphone, iPad,
PC or Mac
• Best: mixing board, boom,
soundproofing, digital recorder (if
What Software Do You
need to Record?
• Zoom, SquadCast, etc.
In-person Recording & Interviews:
• Phone or iPad (built-in software?)
• Audio recording software: Audacity
(free), Hindenburg, Adobe
Audition, Garage Band, etc.
• * Digital Recorders – bypass
software and record directly into a
What editing software do
• Free: Audacity
• Free: Garage Band (Mac)
• Paid: Hindenburg
• Paid: Adobe Audition
• Free: DaVinci Resolve (for
video AND audio!)
• Many others out there …
Audio Editing + Transcript
An all-in-one solution for transcripts & audio editing!
Where to host your
• Anchor – Free. Gives you limited
• Libsyn – Been around forever.
• BuzzSprout – my fav. Good
reviews, support, interface, etc.
• There are many others …
(Need a place to store your audio files distribute
them to Apple, Spotify, etc.)
Make the Leap and DO It!
Prepare for Your Podcast
• Gather your notes and links - Google
docs, relevant websites, etc.
• Mic check – On? Have you selected the
right mic input? Sound level check?
• Software and/ or recorder ready?
• Prepare & relax your guest
Record Your Podcast
• Click “Record” on Zoom, Squadcast,
digital recorder, etc.
• Have 8-10 seconds of silence at the
• Record. Don’t stop/ start … keep going.
• Done – leave 8-10 seconds of silence.
• If online recording – let files upload.
Edit Your Podcast
• Create file folder for all
audio files. Move all
audio files to those
• Remove noise
• Tighten up
• Add intro & outro
Organize Your Files!
• Create file folder for all audio
• Subdirectories for “Renders”
• Within media: images, audio,
• Enables you to keep
everything in one place
Prepare at Hosting
• Add artwork for issue
• Add text about podcast
• Add any relevant links
• Upload audio file
Publish Your Podcast
• Push the “Publish Button”
• Get the word out!
• Social media, Facebook,
Q&A / Resources
Resources Page (PDF) soon available:
• Send email to email@example.com
What questions do you have?
Goal: to show you the why, what and how to do your first podcast. Everything you need to get started.
Who am I?
What Really Matters Interviews is my podcast
Why do you want to do a podcast? It becomes your North Star
There are many reasons ranging from personal to business.
There are lots of benefits to listeners …
And there are benefits for you …
If as a business, here are some possibilities …
Podcast types – solo vs. “with others”
Finding a niche is crucial to standing out. “The more clearly you can state what you do, and who you do it for, the more people will seek you out.”
There are several “moving parts” to bring together for a podcast. We’ll take a look at all of them.
You can get inspiration by Googling “podcast covers” or “podcasts” on Instagram.
There are levels of equipment investment you can make … from basic to best.
Here’s my set-up
There are lots of software options to record your interviews .
There are both free and paid options for editing software
Show Descript if there’s time. Automatically transcribes your audio. And also lets you edit the audio from the transcript!
There are lots and lots of places to host your audio files.
“All you have to do is do it.”
Like any presentation to get ready for your podcast: notes, equipment check, relax guests, etc.
This system makes it easy to keep all your files and one place and move them to another drive when you want.