After an unexpected series of interactions on Twitter in December 2008, I came to know Beth Mansfield, the Public Relations Manager for CKE Restaurants, Inc. (Carl's Jr).
As the "voice" of the brand on Twitter Beth initially engaged me as a result of a blog post (http://tr.im/carlsjr) in which I expressed concern over the pricing of crisscut fries (I invited @carlsjr on Twitter to read it).
Through the course of our interactions I realized Carl's Jr is headquartered in Carpinteria, CA and Beth lives in Ventura, CA -- both are just a few miles down the road from Santa Barbara where I was set to teach a buying behavior class for UCSB Extension a few weeks later (http://tr.im/ucsb).
In addition to giving my students the "basics" of buying behavior, in my class I emphasize the importance of social media as a conduit to consumers. Realizing Beth's proximity to UCSB and how beneficial it would be to hear how a company was actively using social media, I invited her to speak to my class. She was immediately agreeable and, after determining which date would work best, we arranged the details and put the wheels in motion.
Beth visited my class on Saturday, January 31, 2009. I videotaped her two hour presentation and edited into seven videos I posted on YouTube (indicated below).
The PowerPoint presentation uploaded here is the one Beth used during her presentation (so there are portions of the PowerPoint that align with the YouTube video clips below):
1. Beth introduces the Carl's Jr. brand and discusses the "Young, Hungry Guy." (8:48): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBOIRa28LnY
2. Beth provides an overview of the Marketing Department at Carl's Jr. and shares some information about product development. (4:50): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3k2uiH3288
3. Beth outlines some of Carl's Jr's marketing campaigns and advertising initiatives. (7:06): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHt_o1fgs8M
4. Beth outlines Carl's Jr's media relations strategy and how they use public relations to communicate the brand message. (5:38): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8YLU5Lm7nE
5. Beth explains how Carl's Jr uses social media for its public relations efforts and as a means to engage consumers in an active dialogue about the brand. (9:40): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QcZb5lOdWU
6. Beth provides additional detail about how Carl's Jr uses social media networks and tools including Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. (9:29): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wPrgjmAJvo
7. Beth answers questions from students. (9:36): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBGgyx0TN0I
For More Information:
Carl's Jr on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/younghungryguy
Carl's Jr on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/carlsjr
Carl's Jr's Website: http://www.carlsjr.com
Doctorious's Website: http://www.doctorious.org
Blog Post About Beth's Visit: http://cli.gs/carlsjr