WEATHER AND CLIMATE
Refers to atmospheric
conditions at a specific
Refers to the typical
atmospheric conditions in
Temperature is the amount of heat in the
Precipitation is water that falls from the
Wind is the movement of air in the
atmosphere. The wheater vane and
Atmospheric pressure is caused by the
weight of the air in the atmosphere.
FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE CLIMATE
• LATITUDE: Climate zones that are near the Equator
are usually warm.
• DISTANCE FROM BODIES OF WATER: Temperatures
are less extreme near seas or oceans. In coastal
areas, summers are cooler and winters are milder.
• ALTITUDE: Place at higher altitudes are colder than
places at lower altitudes. The climate is often wetter.
THE EARTH´S CLIMATE ZONES
The Earth has got many climate zones, but we can
classify them into three general categories:
1. Hot (or torrid) climate.
2. Temperate climate.
3. Cold (or frigid) climate.
• Equatorial climates have high
temperatures and lots of
• Tropical climates have high
temperatures. They receive lots of
precipitation in summer, but the
weather is dry in winter.
• Desert climates receive very little
precipitations. They can also have
very extreme temperature.
climates have mild temperatures.
They receive a lot of precipitation, especially
in winter. (Galicia)
Mediterranean climates have mild winters
and hot summers. It rains in the spring and
autumn, but summers are dry. (Murcia)
Continental climates have cold winters and
hot summers. They don’t receive very much
• Mountains climates are cold. There is more
precipitation at high altitudes.
• Polar climates have a very low temperature.
Spain has got a
variety of climate
• Latitudes. Spain is in the North
Temperate Zone, but the
Canary Island are closed to the
• Spain has got coastal regions
where temperature are more
• Spain has got
high, mountainous regions
where temperature are lower.
CLIMATE ZONE IN SPAIN
It is caused
The main cause of this change is
an increase in waste gases, like
carbon dioxide, in the Earth´s
Most of the waste gases come
from petroleum products that
are used in factories, cars and
people´s homes. These gases
accumulate in the atmosphere
and stop heat from escaping
into space. This increases the
Earth´s temperature. It is called
the greenhouse effect and it
causes global warming
The main consequences of climate
• HIGHER SEA LEVELS: The ice in polar zones is
melting. This is going to caused floods in coastal
• MORE SEVERE WEATHER: Higher temperature are
going to cause more violent storms.
• DROUGHT: Some regions are going to receive less
precipitation, so they won´t have enough water.
• EXTINCTION: If the temperatures keep
increasing, many plant and animal species are
going to disappear.
CLIMATE AND NATURALS DISASTERS
• Strong winds can cause
serious damage to building
• Torrential rains can cause
• Droughts are long periods of
time with little or no rain.
• High temperature can cause
• It is a large tropical storm.
It can produce winds of
more than 250 kilometres
• It is a column of air that
comes from a storm cloud
and rotates violenty. They
can be very destructive.