Moodle, the de facto learning platform to facilitate research and experimentation with educational data
1. David Monllaó Olivé
Lead Data Scientist, Moodle HQ
UNESCO - Mobile Learning Week 2019
Moodle, the de facto learning platform to facilitate
research and experimentation with educational data
“Moodle is the world’s open source learning platform.”
“Empowering educators to improve our world.”
Education, Respect, Integrity, Innovation and
4. Slide with Moodle usage stats worldwide
147 million users.
18 million courses.
321 million forum posts.
1,442 million quiz questions.
1.5 million mobile app downloads.
https://moodle.net/stats/ (28th February 2019)
5. Moodle HQ
73 employees (28th February 2019).
Headquarters in Perth,
Branch in Barcelona.
(Image: essetefano, [CC BY-SA 3.0])(Image: JJ Harrison [CC BY-SA 3.0])
13. Analytics engine in Moodle core
● Predictive analytics engine for experimentation and
deployment to production. Powered by Machine Learning
● 100% open source and 100% extendable.
● Implements Moodle's Privacy API to meet EU’s General
Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements.
(Image: https://opensource.org/)(Image: https://fontawesome.com/) (Image: https://europa.eu)
14. The data and the trained algorithms are
private to each Moodle site
15. Evaluation of predictive models
algorithm● Number of forum posts.
● The student completed the
● Course access frequency.
No Machine Learning knowledge required.
● Students at risk of
● Based on students activity (no predictions based on
○ Number of forum posts.
○ The student completed the previous assignments.
○ Course access frequency.
● Extendable according to each institution needs:
○ Link to other data sources.
● What we want to predict.
○ Students at risk of dropping out of courses.
○ Students at risk of missing assignment due dates.
○ Courses at risk of not being engaging.
The Moodle Educator Certification Program provides a core foundation of digital competency for teaching and learning using the Moodle Platform.
The primary aim of the Moodle Educator Certification Program is to provide opportunities where educators:
develop skills and digital competencies in their teaching and learning practice;
design instructional resources and learning experiences with Moodle;
build capacity to facilitate learning activities to reach learning goals; and
connect and engage in collaborative learning experiences and activities that contribute to quality education.
We’re pleased to announce the launch of the Moodle Educator Certification Program through Certified Moodle Partners on March 19, 2019.