Reported that 62% of physicians use an
iPad at the point of care.
Over 80% of physicians use smart
phones and smart phone apps daily
as a part of patient care activities
What Does the Health Care of Tomorrow Look Like?
• Patient Centered Care
• Outcomes Based Medicine/Payment Systems
• Greater Emphasis on Population Health
• Increased focus on Consumer Driven Medicine
Current Trends in Information Technology Enable
Storage of Exponentially More Data.
• Average Health System has an EMR Database of 2-
• Rate of data storage is growing exponentially
• Successfully mapped human genome model 10
**1TB = 1 trillion bytes = 1 thousand gigabytes
Roughly 472 hours of HD quality video
IT jobs in healthcare are expected to
grow by 20% annually through 2018.
Lucas Mearian, ComputerWorld, September 26, 2012.
Health IT Industry
The healthcare industry is leading
the market in IT job creation,
according to the U.S. Bureau of
Labor Statistics job placement
Purpose: Improve quality of patient
National Survey Results
The need for IT staff in the nation’s
healthcare facilities is more critical
now than two years ago.
Two-thirds of healthcare operations in the
U.S. are reporting a shortage, (67% of 163
hospitals or healthcare systems), survey of CIOs.
July 2012, College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME)
Tipping Point – Are We Ready?
Do we have the workforce?
• Nationally recognized shortage.
• Continue to drain the shrinking
pool of employed health IT
• ARRA/HITECH Section 3016, 2010
training to support new wave of
• U.S. Department of Labor supports
training for health IT workforce
gaps via H-1B program.
More Health IT for Practitioners:
More “Practitioners” for Health
• Physician Practices
• Insurance Companies
• Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
• Medical Schools
• Software Vendors
• Device Manufacturers
• Two Major deadlines for HCIT industry
• ICD-10 upgrade Oct 2014
• Stage 2 Meaningful Use 2014
• Deadline for electronic claims submission to CMS
• Major Health Systems Upgrade Software every 18-36
• Average upgrade end-to-end is 9-12 month
• In short, the work is never done
• “Need to be perfect at getting better” – Thomas
HOAHIMSS.org and HIMSS.org
Kansas HIT Regional Extension Center